Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Oh Tomato Sauce, How I Missed Thee

Today was the first day since I've arrived that it actually wasn't humid. I didn't have class today, so Tori and I went to Tsukuba Center around noon to go to the post office and pick up packages that we missed the delivery of. Jill sent me The Office, because I was so sad about not being able to watch it online since I'm not in America. We ate lunch after that (Subway!) and I went back to the Loft while Tori went to Jusco to buy some stuff. I bought more of those erasable pens, a planner, and some other stuff. I'm normally the type of person who never remembers to use a planner, and since I'm fairly good at remembering appointments and deadlines and dates, I've never had much use for one, but since we go out adventuring so much, it'd be nice to keep track of my schedule. I will use the planner I swear!

The results of the placement test were released today. And we had to be at the International Student Center by 3:30 for our class orientation. We cut it a little close because of shopping, and we got there at 3:25. Somehow, by a miracle (or thanks to my good test taking abilities I guess) I got placed into Japanese 500, or 5th level, out of 7 levels. Which is the highest I needed to place into, because I will be here for 3 quarters and next quarter I will do 6th level and then lastly, 7th. I thought I did horrible on the test, but I guess not so much. I also got 5th of 7 levels for kanji, which I was shocked at, because our program teaches us very little kanji. We had orientation, which was all in Japanese, so I had to pay close attention, but I understood most of it. I moved things around in my schedule, so it's finally set. It's the greatest schedule ever. For the first time ever in my college career, I don't have class on any day before noon, and I have no classes on Friday. Amazing. I had to drop the boring basic Japan intro class on Tuesday, and the education class on Monday. I'm now taking, in addition to language courses, History of International Relations (medieval European history), another one of the intro to Japanese culture sort of classes, and a class on Modern Asia. That meets the minimum requirement of credits I need. I could take extra, but I figure I'm here to focus on my language studies anyway, and the classes don't help me at OSU, so I shouldn't take more classes that divert my study time away from language.

After orientation we went to the recycle shop, where Tori, Amanda (one of the California girls), and I bought used fridges. So I can now at last buy refrigerated goods. Hurrah. The guy drove back to our dorms right after we bought them to deliver them. It was only $85. Afterwards, us three went back to Tori's room where she cooked us some delicious spaghetti and tomato sauce and we watched an episode of The Office.

My Japanese classes start tomorrow, but then I have a 3 day weekend. On Friday, we're going shopping for food for our fridges, on Saturday back to the big mall that's a train stop away (sorry El Banco de Miguel), I want to see that Hachiko movie while I'm there. Sunday, we're finally going into Tokyo. So far Tori, Amanda, and I are going, maybe more.

I forgot to reread my last blog post for typos until this morning, and I found numerous horrible typos. I'm sorry for that. I was also informed that a few posts ago I wrote 'psychics' class instead of 'physics'. Another horrible typo, although quite funny. I fixed all the typos.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it was delivered so fast! I wrapped it in a Chipotle bag- did you see that? To remind you of the US. ;)

    ReplyDelete