Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Current Japanese Reading Speed = 1 page/2hrs

Well today was long and sucky. I woke up late again and rushed to get ready, cause I had kanji class at 12:15 today. So I biked there as fast as I could only to get to the classroom and see that class is canceled. This university seems to be living in an ancient era where email wasn't invented so such notices are simply written on the blackboard in the classroom. Awesome... I don't know how they can just keep canceling classes like this either, when we're only in class once a week. Whatever. So yeah, I still had homework to do, and I had reading class at 3:15, so I went to the study lounge place and worked on my homework. I had to finish writing that essay for our writing class, which was due today by 4. Just before class my stomach got rather upset and I felt like crap. Turns out reading class was two periods today too, since class was canceled two weeks ago. Brilliant.

I was hoping reading class would be rather easy, but it's not. I don't know why, but I feel like some of these teachers expect us to be fluent, when we're clearly not. We were given a photocopy from a few pages of a book, filled with tons of kanji and vocab I don't know. She gave us a sheet with the readings of the kanji, so I had to look it all up in my dictionary and then attempt to decipher the text. It took about 2hrs for me to comprehend one page. On top of that the teacher uses even more vocab I don't know when she speaks, so I had trouble understanding what she was saying. I don't see why they can't give us like kids books to start with, cause I don't feel like I'm getting much reading practice when it takes me 2hr/page. Well, I have to stick it out though, cause I can't drop anymore classes. It's not as horrible and torturous and evil as listening class was at least.

I was exhausted and tired and hungry after class, but a few of the Cali people were going out somewhere, and I eventually decided to go along. Which probably wasn't the best idea in retrospect, but I didn't want to sit in my room alone. I got to come back to my room first though and drop stuff off. I had to stop by the electric store and pay my 2nd monthly installment (out of 4) for my AC. I was actually able to communicate with the kid working there too, which was nice. After I dropped my stuff off I went to meet the Cali people and we went to this little shopping place near Tsukuba Center. It had a few grocery stores and a 100 yen shop and an arcade and stuff. Some people went to the arcade, but I just wanted to buy some food. I just bought plain bread, since I had a headache and my stomach was still upset. I was really tired too for some reason, but it was still fun. We walked around the 100 yen shop for a while, and the grocery store, then we came home after a little over an hour. I took a much needed bath when I got back. I feel a little better now. Now I need to translate page 2 of the reading for class. Fun stuff.

It was rainy and dreary all day today too. That made me feel even more blah.

I know my posts have been lame lately, but somebody comment plz :( even if only to tell me my posts are lame.

2 comments:

  1. Your posts are lame. Just kidding. I keep wanting to text you but remembering that I can't. Boo. ;)
    Sounds like you're settling into life there, though. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tortise-Shell PatternOctober 2, 2009 at 3:59 AM

    You know, I also have wanted to text you randomly and been dejected upon remembering that I can't :P

    Sorry to not comment. The last few times I]'ve read I've only had a few minutes so I read and run. Sowwy.

    You're not lame. You're just busy like me. I just go and go all day. Then I go to work. Then I got do homework. I have honestly had no "me time" all week! And my brithday is this weekend! Wah. I don't even feel like celebrating I'm so tired. Then I remember you guys and think how the only people who know how I feel are on the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete