Thursday, September 10, 2009

Insane Old Guy With Combover, Enter Stage Right

No class till noon today (Hurray!) so I got to sleep in. And it wasn't humid again. I suppose not having early classes isn't really helping me develop good sleeping habits... Japanese listening was my first class at noon, and it met my every expectation of being ridiculously hard. The class is conducted in Japanese of course, so of the actual instructions I only understand some of what he says. We ended up watching part of a Japanese movie and we had to write down the transcripts of the scenes we watched. This turned out to be quite a difficult task, because we could only listen 2-3 times, and he would usually go on to the next line before I had time to write out the sentence prior. They were saying lots of words I don't know as well, and it's quite difficult to understand the pronunciation if you don't recognize the word. Then he felt the need to start calling out names for people to read their answers, and of course I failed when my turn came. However, everyone in the class, for the most part, seemed to be having just as difficult a time of it as I was, so it wasn't so bad. What's really bad is being put into the class where everyone else is smarter than you. I was actually able to do better than some of the people around me, as I got a few lines correct, so that made me feel good. I'm kind of glad the class is really hard though, rather than being too easy, as this will force me to work even harder to catch up, which I will eventually, and then I'll have learned a whole lot more.

I suppose I didn't mention this yesterday, Tori and half the Californian group got put in 4th level, unfortunately. However, from what the book looks like, and from what they said, it seems to be a lot of review of stuff I already learned. I'm happy with my placement. The other half of the Californian group is in 5th level.

After Japanese I went to my Modern Asia class, which the teacher didn't show up to for the 2nd week in a row. With class only once a week for most classes, it's a wonder they can teach anything at all, and now this teacher already wasted 2/10 classes? Unfortunately, I need this class, so I hope it's not cancelled. Since the teacher didn't show up, we all went to the bookstore and then bought a snack lunch from the convenience store. At 3:15 we had our next class, History of International Relations. The teacher for that class is some ancient insane German guy, and it was really interesting actually. Insane old teachers are always the best. It was largely about international relations during the middle ages and the time of the Roman Empire.

We went to Tsukuba Center after class, to buy more stuff at Jusco. I bought some dishes since I now have a fridge, and some more shelves. I am now, officially, unpacked. Although I still need one more shelf thing. We're going back tomorrow, to buy food and stuff. I ate dinner at Subway again too :) The same girls were working there again, and they smiled when they saw me coming lol. I'm a frequent customer. And of course I order the same thing everytime. I'm sorry, I just can't live without my sandwiches.

No one but Jill comments anymore :( You guys are lame.

I took some pictures of my new and improved and organized room. Including my very useful indoor clothes line, and my wall of many posters. Oh, and I can't forget my awesome ghetto cardboard box/computer table. Yay. My room looks considerably better than before. I also took pictures of the stray kitties outside our dorms that I saw before. They're so cute. I hope we didn't scare them too much. And lastly, I took a picture of the buttons on the fabulous Toto toilets they have in the mall. Complete with butt-washing and bidet capabilities. Also, a picture of the nasty toilet I must use everyday. Beware of gross factor. I figured you all might be curious, or that you may not believe me when I say it's disgusting.

7 comments:

  1. Aw, your room looks all nice and homey. I love the clothes line strung across the room- kinda like the dryer rack we had set up in your room last year. :) Posters look familiar too...
    You didn't get online today, so I guess I'll talk to you tomorrow! It's my sibs' birthday, so we're having a family party tonight. And then 15 extra girls at my house tomorrow night. I'd be sleeping over at your house if you were there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my first comment b/c the "post a comment" section finally showed up on my ghetto computer.
    I'd like further explanation on what each of the buttons do and on whether you've used the bidet. Remember how mom and dad told us that it was a foot washer when we were young?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way....i've read every post and have enjoyed all the "evil" references.
    I haven't seen any commentary about Sushi????
    Have you been eating the raw fish type...or have you been lame with Subway...just kidding

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what the buttons do exactly, I've never tried it. It shows rather awkward pictures there. The 2nd and 3rd clean your ass and the 4th is the bidet. The first one is just the stop button.

    There hasn't been much opportunity to eat raw fish to be honest. They don't have it in the cafeterias and stuff. I had sashimi at the party I went to. Haven't actually eaten sushi yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what cute little nekos!!! Awww I like all your cat pictures lol. Your room is finally looking more livable-thank the Lord! Icky potties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like the poster of harry potter and his wyzzrdryyy on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww everything looks so nice in your room, including your ghetto computer stand lol. it looks like you're finally (for the most part anyway) situated.

    that toliet though..wow :-/

    butttt...cute cats!!

    ReplyDelete