Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I Need a Dictionary to Translate My Dictionary

So I decided to attend this Linguistic Anthropology course this morning, which turned out to be a mistake. It started at 10am, so I had to wake up even earlier today, and although the concept is interesting, I found the class rather dull. It was a two hour class split with a one hour break for lunch, so the whole ordeal would've taken 3hrs. I came home during the lunch break, cause I was sleepy, and Tori and I both decided we didn't want to go back, so we essentially dropped the class.

I took the trash out to the big trash bin things this morning. There was a calico cat sitting in front of the gate meowing at me, I assumed it wanted in (they eat the trash), so I opened the gate, and there's two little kittens hiding. One tried to run out, but I didn't think it would like being separated from its mom, nor did I want it to get hurt, so I shooed it back in. Poor thing, it hissed at me cause it was so scared. I hope those kittens don't die.

We had a library orientation at 2:00, it was pretty boring. I guess it's just not that hard to use a library, even in Japan. We had to watch an introductory video to the library, which I assumed was a monotone, boring documentary, but turned out to be a video made by students, which was surprisingly hilarious. We went to our next class after that ended, an introductory course to Japanese culture and history and stuff. This class is turning out to be even more basic than OSU's basic Japan intro class, so it's rather boring, but I have to take it so I'm full-time. To be honest, I was hoping that when I came here the class offerings on things related to Japan (culture, history, etc) would be a little more advanced and difficult, since this is Japan after all.

Oh, my electronic dictionary was shipped today! I was very excited, as I usually am when I get new gadgets. However, this one is going to require quite a bit of tinkering with to figure. And translating lol. The delivery guy didn't come in and knock on my door for some reason, and instead called Tori's phone (I gave them her number cause I have no phone yet). The poor guy was trying really hard to explain to me that he was waiting in the entrance, and I eventually figured it out, but it took a couple minutes. I felt so bad.

At 6:30 we met all the California people to go out to dinner again. It was one guy's birthday. We went to this awesome okonomiyaki restaurant, which turned out to be the best food I've eaten here so far. You sit in this traditional Japanese style table, and there's a grill in the center. They bring you a bowl of raw stuff, and you sort of cook it like a pancake and eat it. Very different from anything we have in America. The portion size was manageable too, plus it was delicious. Mine had these really tiny pink shrimp in them, and some cabbage and egg and stuff.

After dinner everyone wanted to go to Mister Donuts and the supermarket, and then we went to this one girl's apartment where we watched a movie. I left after a bit though, cause I had to get back before the showers closed.

Tons of pictures today. The first is the apples that cost $5 for 2 apples (it's 500 yen for 1 set of 2 apples, not 1500 yen for two). Then one of my first encounters with Engrish (badly translated Japanese->English that usually makes no sense), and the rest are of the okonomiyaki restaurant. The very last one is the result of not being able to use credit cards :) I found it amusing.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures today, and I am so excited that you finally encountered some Engrish! woo! Oh and poor kittens :( that's so sad!!
    I am also surprised about your culture class. I mean, I was disappointed with the OSU one because I thought it would've had more culture and less history. For this reason, I am equally disappointed in your class because you're right-you ARE in JAPAN after all!!!
    You really seem to be settling in, making friends, and getting out and doing things. I'm glad for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, Hello there. I called your mom today to see how you were doing. She mentioned your blog. I AM FASCINATED WITH IT!!! I'm so glad she thought to mention it to me. Have the time of your life, and keep posting (including the pics). You're a great writer. Looking forward to tomorrow's post. LOL -Connie

    ReplyDelete