Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tales of Xillia 2 - Chapter 7 English Translation

Chapter Index | Previous Chapter | Skits
Next Chapter (If you choose to meet Gaius) 
Next Chapter (If you choose to chase Julius)

Chapter 7 – Mission to Destroy an Alternate Timeline

Vel: I told you, it's a company secret.
Nova: I won't tell anyone!
Nova: I know you at least know what's happened to Julius-san.
Vel: Hello.
Nova: Ludger…
Nova: Hey, I heard about you becoming an agent!
Nova: That's awesome! The same job as Julius-san, just like you've always wanted, right?
Ludger: …
Elle: Why is the debt lady here.
Nova: We're sisters. Twins actually.
Elle: You do look like alike!
Jude: Ludger.
Vel: Nova, this is work-related now.
Nova: Yeah yeah, I get it. Those is the way should get lost.
Nova: Ah, almost forgot.
Nova: Congratulations on your job. Let's celebrate next time we meet!
Alvin: I accidentally told everyone about the alternate timelines.
Jude: We want you to take us with you.

-L1: I don't want to get you all involved further… (Jude +)
-R1: Will you all please help me then? (Alvin, Leia, Elise, Rowen +)

R1 Route:
Rowen: This isn't just Elenpios's problem.
Rowen: Also, the wisdom of an old man might come in handy, don't you think?
Leia: I'll help too!
Leia: This could be a big scoop after all.
Elise: Elle is going with Ludger, right?
Elle: Yes.
Elle: Ah…
Elle: I could go by myself too if I wanted though…
Elise: Please take me with you as well.
Tipo: Cause we're worried about you.
Alvin: Well then, I'll tag along too.
 Tipo: Alvin's just lonely.
Alvin: Yep. I've come to terms with that part of myself.
Jude: Of course, I'll come too.
Ludger: …
Vel: You'll all be working together then. That is fine, however…
Rowen: We'll have to keep what we know a secret, is that it?
Vel: Even if you want to tell someone you trust, I think keeping it a secret would be best. Now, let me brief you on the mission.
Elle: How cool!
Vel: The mission of an alternate timeline counter-measure agent is to enter the alternate timeline and destroy the time factor.
Vel: The time factor is the key point around which the alternate timeline is formed. Usually, it is disguised as something else.
Alvin: And how do we track down this "something"?
Vel: The things most likely to be a time factor are those things that are the most different from the true timeline we live in. 
Vel: They are not always simply objects, sometimes they take over people. So, please be careful.
Ludger: …
Vel: I've transmitted the coordinates of the target alternate timeline to your GHS.
Vel: Using your GHS, you can travel to alternate timelines.*

*Don't ask me how that works >.>

==========================

Alvin: So those strange things that have been happening to us was this, huh?
Elle: This is Triglav Central Station!
Rowen: I suppose this is what you would call the entry point?
Elise: But, is this world really that different from ours…?
Leia: Nothing is different here, is it?
Vel: I've confirmed your arrival in the target alternate timeline. Begin searching for the time factor.

-L1: GHS gets signal here?
-R1: How do we go about searching?

R1 Route:
Vel: I'll explain.
Jude: Search for the thing that's the most different from our timeline, correct?
Vel: Correct. The time factor should react when one with the power of Corpse Shell gets closer.
Jude: And if we destroy that, this world will disappear…
Vel: Yes. However, only the weapon of someone with the power of Corpse Shell can destroy time factors.
Leia: Really!?
Rowen: So to sum it up, for the detection and destruction of time factors…
Jude: …we have to count on Ludger.
Alvin: We sure are severely restricted.
Vel: Finally, if you do not destroy a time factor, you cannot return to the true timeline, so be careful.
Leia: Whoa, we didn't hear anything about that before!*
Elise: We can't go back whenever we want…
Alvin: If we can't get out, that'd be very bad.
Loudspeaker: On platform 1, a train bound for Askord will shortly arrive.
Jude: The Askord-bound train is still running.
Leia: Then, in this world there was no train terrorist attack?
Rowen: Don't jump to conclusions. We should first learn what we can about this world.
Alvin: Askord is suspicious though, that's a fact.
 Rowen: Let's split into two groups to search.
Leia: Jude and I will gather information in town.
Jude: Ludger, we'll leave Askord to you and the others.
Elle: Leave it to us!

*Yeah seriously Vel, rather an important detail don't you think? >_>

==========================

Elle: What is a "natural factory" anyway?
Elise: I heard it's a factory that produces vegetables and fruit.
Tipo: That's so strange, isn't it?
Alvin: It's quite common in Elenpios actually.
Alvin: Although, there isn't any other one as big as this place.
???: So you came, Alfred.
Alvin: Gilland!
Gilland: …You would address the next head of the Svent family so informally?
Gilland: I think it's bad if the eldest son of the main branch is always chosen to be the next head.*
Alvin: You, the next head of the family… ?
Elle: Someone you know?
Alvin: Someone I knew once… yes…
Rowen: He seems to have mixed up Alvin-san with his alternate timeline counterpart.
Elle: If you know him, ask him to let us inside. He looks like an important person after all.
Elise: Their relationship isn't like that.
Elle: A complicated relationship?
Tipo: Where did you learn such big words!?
Rowen: However, this is an alternate timeline. It may be worth trying.
Alvin: …You're right.
Alvin: I'm sorry, Uncle. From now on I'll be careful to address you properly.
Gilland: …Good.
Alvin: Would you be willing to show us around Askord.
Gilland: Very well.

(bonus scene if you completed Alvin Episode 1)

Gilland: Askord's success has allowed the Svent family's influence to steadily grow. 
Gilland: Don't you think it's about time you settled down? My sister-in-law Leticia is worried about you too.
Alvin: My Mother is…?
Gilland: Her worries about Alfred simply playing around and not making anything of his life are all she every complains about.
Alvin: So she's alive here…**
Gilland: Who are these people with you?
Alvin: They're my companions. A variety of friends is good right?
Gilland: There are many who would get close to you just to use the influence of the Svent name.
Gilland: Don't trust others blindly.
Alvin: Though, I should be the one saying that to you.
Gilland: Hm?
Alvin: Nothing. I understand what you're saying, Uncle.

(end bonus scene)

Gilland: As you know, I have succeeded in capturing the legendary creature we recently discovered, the great spirit Aska.
Gilland: Aska's power is more than strong enough to supply the energy needed to completely power Askord.
Elise: The great spirt Aska…?
Gilland: Making use of spirit's power is no doubt the industry that will control the future of Elenpios from here on out.
Alvin: He's not a time factor, is he?
Alvin: Uncle, Aska is kept locked up in the basement, right?
Gilland: There is no basement here. Aska is in the dome in the central area.
Alvin: Thank you.
Gilland: Ugh!
Alvin: Sorry, Uncle.
Elise: Alvin, you were too rough on him!
Alvin: If this guy's not a time factor, then I think there's a chance it's the spirit Aska.
Alvin: But if we want to search for it, we can't have anyone interfering.
Rowen: That's true. Besides, in the first place we all…
Alvin: …came here to destroy this world.
Alvin: Right, Ludger?
Ludger: …

*Gilland is Alvin's uncle, and they're members of the prominent Svent family. Alvin's father was the eldest brother, so he was head of the family, but he died and Gilland took over, even though it is Alvin's place as he is now the eldest son of the main branch. The real Gilland died in ToX1.
**She's dead in the true timeline. She died in ToX1.

==========================

Elise: Look at this. These tomatoes are huge!
Tipo: I want to eat them with some salt!

-L1: If Julius saw these, he'd for sure be happy. (Elle +)
-R1: I should make a dish with tomatoes for everyone next time we have a chance.  (Alvin, Rowen, Elise +)

L1 Route:
Elle: That guy with glasses likes tomatoes?
Elle: Hmm, just like Elle's papa.
Elle: But, Elle since hates tomatoes…
Elle: Papa would make both adult soup for himself with tomatoes and tomato-free soup for Elle.
Ludger: …

==========================

Ludger: !
Elle: It's so bright!
Rowen: That is Aska!?
Rowen: Ludger-san!
Ludger: …
Alvin: I'll try shooting it.
Alvin: Ugh!
Gilland: What are you trying to do, Alfred…
Gilland: What are you trying to do to my achievements!
Elle: Kya!
Alvin: Gr, wait a second!
Gilland: How can you say that!?
Gilland: A…Aska is!

(boss batle)

Rowen: It seems Aska wasn't the time factor either.
Elise: What will happen to Aska now?
Elle: Should we help him escape?
Elise: But then this factory will no longer function, will it?
Tipo: That'll inconvenience a lot of people, won't it?
Ludger: …

-L1: Release Aska. (Aska is free, Gilland dies)
-R1: Capture Aska. (Aska is captured. Gilland lives)

L1 Route:
Aska: The Kresnik family…
Ludger: !
Aska: You still cannot find the Land of Canaan?
Elle: It talks!
Aska: Just like your ancestor, if you desire our mutual prosperity, then you should make haste to the Land of Canaan.
Aska: 2000 years have passed… Origin cannot continue the purification of souls for long, he has reached his limit.
Elle: Origin…?
Aska: The most powerful great spirit who rules over nothingness.
Alvin: The great spirit Origin… That must be where Gilland got the name for "origin".
Gilland: I did what…
Gilland: You fools… Don't you understand what you have done!?
Gilland: If this spirit is gone, we'll lose the food production capacity for hundreds of thousands of people!
Gilland: I won't let Elenpios's chance for a future run away!
Gilland: Ah…
Gilland: Gyaaahh!
Ludger: !
Elle: Ah!
Aska: …However, humans are far too arrogant.
Aska: I'm beginning to understand Khronos's feelings.
Jude: This is…
Alvin: Our mission was a failure. What about you two?
Jude: …Us too.
Leia: However, we did hear something strange.
Leia: In the plains beyond Helioborg, there's been sightings of a long-haired female-looking spirit.
Alvin: Hey, that sounds like…
Alvin: …The area around the hill that bridges dimensions, huh?* Let's go and take a look ourselves.
Rowen: Please go on ahead. I would like to first hold a burial for Gilland, then I will catch up with you.
Elise: I'll stay with you.
Alvin: Is there any point in that? We are here to destroy this world after all.
Ludger: …
Rowen: I believe there is meaning.
Rowen: Though it is small, it means something to you.
Alvin: …Sorry.

*That's what the hill is called because it was the location where you could enter the spirit world in ToX1.

==========================

Elle: Jude, is something wrong?
Leia: It was probably Milla we heard rumors about… right?
Elle: Milla?
Leia: Well…
Alvin: The portal between dimensions used to be here right?
Leia: Maybe it disappeared when the Shell was destroyed…?
Alvin: I don't think it was ever here to begin with in this world.
Alvin: Think about it. In this world, Gilland is living in Elenpios, right?*
Jude: …It is possible.
Jude: In this world, the Shell still exists, and so the portal between dimensions was never opened.
Jude: In other words…
Leia: In this world, Liese Maxia and Elenpios are still completely isolated from each other, right!?
Elle: Are you positive that's it?
Jude: That means Maxwell is still somewhere out there…**

Jude: This is the long-haired spirit!?
???: Even if they're the same, they won't be able to interfere with that place.***
Elle: That place… You don't mean…!****
Elle: Are you talking about the Land of Canaan?
Jude: Elle!!
Elle: Kyaaaa!
Ludger: Ah…!
Elle: Ludger!
???: The Kresnik family.
???: You all never seem to give up. Endlessly travelling to the alternate timelines, searching for the key.
Alvin: What are you?
???: I am the one who watches over the Land of Canaan.
Khronos: The great spirit, Khronos.
Khronos: Shall I throw you all into the space between dimensions as well?*****
Khronos: Just like that female Maxwell who likes to pretend she's human!
Jude: Maxwell!?

(boss battle)

Rowen: Everyone!
Khronos: …I got a little dirty.
Jude: Our attacks did nothing to him?
Leia: …Seems like it.
Elle: Uh… Ah…
Jude: Julius-san!
Julius: Gh… Uhhh!
Khronos: …You're the one who searches.
Julius: The watch!
Julius: Give it to me!

-L1: (Take out your watch.) (Julius +)
-R1: (Refuse.)

L1 Route:
Ludger: Gh…
Julius: Ahhhhhh!
Julius: Ludger!
Alvin: He who runs away, lives to fight another day!
Elle: Get Lulu!
Jude/Leia: Got her!
Khronos: …Looks like luck was on their side.

Leia: This is… Liese Maxia!
Jude: A rift between dimensions opened up again.
Elise: What about Elle and the others?
Ludger: !
Jude: Don't worry about Elle. Alvin was with her.
Jude: I'm sure the others must have come out nearby.
Elise: I'm sure you're right!
Tipo: Alvin has become a very reliable person lately, surprisingly…
Jude: Isn't adding "surprisingly" a little cruel?
Leia: …I think we'll all be ok now.
Jude: Yeah, I think so too.
Jude: At the base of this mountain is a village called Ni Akeria. If we go there,  I'm sure we'll be able to learn something about our friends. 

*He was stuck in Liese Maxia in ToX1.
**The original Maxwell, not Milla.
***These sort of lines are the hardest to translate. He said "あちらもこうであれば、彼の地へ手出しできないのだが" or "even if they are that, they can't interfere with that place." Khronos is INCREDIBLY vague here, and I am not sure what he's trying to say. Of course, he's vague on purpose, because in the plot we're not supposed to know what he's talking about, but as far as translating it goes… well I did my best. I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Land of Canaan and the party, but I'm not sure what the "that" of "if they are that" means.  
****Ok so I think the reason Elle jumps to the conclusion that he's talking about the Land of Canaan is because in Japanese he says "ka no chi" or "彼の地" which means "that place", but pronunciation-wise sounds very similar to "kanan no chi", which is " Land of Canaan" in Japanese.
*****Well he said an "interval of space-time" whatever that means.

==========================

(battle)

Leia: Ludger, go into Corpse Shell mode and take them out.
Ludger: !?
Elise: You can't transform?
Leia: What happened!?
Milla: Don't stand there so absent-mindedly!
Ludger: !?
Milla: Haaa!
Milla: This area is our sacred ground.
Milla: You outsiders should leave at once.
Jude: Wait!
Jude: …
Elise: That was the Milla of this alternate timeline!?
Leia: For now, let's continue on to Ni Akeria, ok?
Jude: R…right.
Tipo: But…
Elise: If Ludger can no longer transform, then we won't be able to return to our own timeline, right…?
Ludger: …

==========================

Elle: We have to hurry and search for them! They might be all alone and crying…
Elle: Ludger!
Elle: Honestly, don't make me worry like that!
Leia: Seems like you guys are perfectly safe.
Julius: …
Ludger: …Ah.
Vel: I'm calling from the Alternate Timeline Counter-Measure Division. Our analysis shows your coordinates within the alternate timeline to have changed drastically.
Vel: We've determined that the probability of the existence of guiding signs that will lead to the Land of Canaan to be high.
Vel: If you discover any of these guiding signs, recovering them should be your highest priority.
Julius: The situation was a little desperate, but you did well.
Elle: Guiding signs?
Vel: They are clues that will show us the way to the Land of Canaan. They are well hidden within the alternate timelines.
Vel: They are likely assimilated with the time factors…*
Julius: Leave the rest to me.
Julius: Give me your watch, Ludger.

-L1: You should be first telling me what you've been up to, Julius!
-R1: We finally meet after all this time, and that's the first thing you say to me…?

L1 Route:
Julius: Origin's Judgment.
Ludger: …?
Julius: …It's fine if you don't understand.
Julius: Even now, you can still return.
Elle: This is Papa's!
Julius: It's not yours.
Elle: I said it's Papa's, didn't I?
Julius: It's not your Papa's either.
Elle: Yes it is!
Elle: Papa's watch is now Ludger's watch too!**
Julius: Just as I thought, this kid is…!
Julius: Gh…!
Milla: You people sure are noisy. If you going to have a family argument, do it somewhere else.***
Jude: Mi…!
Elise: Milla!
Milla: …Do I know you?
Milla: Please stop addressing me in such a familiar manner.
Milla: …
Milla: Are you hungry?
Milla: Come along then. I'll give you something to eat.
Elle: Wait, Lulu!
Leia: Let's follow them, Ludger. She could be the time factor!
Jude: …
Alvin: Let's go then, "big brother".****
Julius: Your concern is needless.
Alvin: Concern you say… You were thinking about killing Elle before, weren't you?
Alvin: I just can't leave such a dangerous fellow alone.
Julius: It looks like they won't trust me at all…

*Lol, thank you Julius, her techno-babble was hard to translate! Haha. Oh, and I'm not sure what she meant by "assimilate" here. The word can also mean absorb/adapt. I'm not sure if she's saying whatever the time factor is has absorbed the guiding signs into their beings? Or maybe they're just attracted to each other so the time factor will sort of find the sign and protect it. I'm not sure if the signs are supposed to be sort of sentient like these time factors seem to be? Ehhh, well this is techno-babble so I'm not really sure, sorry.
**Ok so she either said "Papa and Ludger's watch is the same" meaning the watch belongs to both of them now, or "Papa's and Ludger's watches became one". I'm pretty sure it's not the latter, because correct me if I'm wrong, but we are dealing with 3 watches, yes? One belongs to Julius, one to Ludger, and one to Elle's father. However, Julius has been using both his watch and the one Ludger was meant to inherit, so Ludger has been using Elle's father's watch in battle. That is my understanding. So I'm pretty sure she means this as I wrote it in the dialogue.  
***I think she mistakes Elle for Julius's kid or something. Cause she says "parent and child argument."
****Ok, I know some of you may not agree with this translation but here me out. "Onii-san" is a word that means "older brother" in Japanese, but can also be used to respectfully refer to a man in general who is older than you (and in this case Julius is one year older than Alvin, 28 vs 27 years old), without calling them by the last name plus "-san" or "you", the latter being incredibly rude in general. I don't think that's what Alvin is doing here though. I think he's mocking Julius by actually calling him "big brother" because he's not acting very brotherly to Ludger at the moment, and he was mean to Elle. I'm sorry for all these notes on this scene by the way D:

==========================

Elle: You're all slow.
Alvin: Hey. We're not slow.

-L1: Don't wander off on your own!
-R1: Don't worry me like that… (Elle +)

R1 Route:
Elle: …I'm sorry.
Julius: Lulu, it looks like you're eating something delicious.
Elle: Milla made it. It's super delicious!
Elle: Right?
Elle: Milla really loves cooking, but she says the villagers won't eat any of her food.
Milla: You people, don't just barge into other people's homes…
Elle: Milla!
Elle: Your soup was delicious. Thanks for the meal!
Milla: If you're satisfied with just that soup, you must not have eaten really spectacular food before.
Elle: I have so!
Elle: Elle's Papa's cooking was waaaaay more delicious!
Elle: He would let the soup simmer for a long time. His food was always amazing, so…
Milla: If it's that delicious, I think I'd like to learn from him.
Elle: I'll ask him for you if you want. As thanks for the soup.
Milla: I'll think about it.
Milla: Welcome home, sister.
Musee: Something smells.
Musee: You were cooking human food again, weren't you?
Milla: I'm sorry, this child and her cat were hungry…
Milla: Ahh!
Musee: You should know I can't move around when it smells so bad!
Alvin: This Musee, her eyes are…!*
Milla: I'm so sorry, sister…
Elle: What are you doing!?
Elle: Ah!
Milla: What… was that?
Ludger: …
Musee: …What happened?
Milla: Sister, what was…
Milla: Uh…
Musee: Stop talking nonsense…
Musee: More importantly, it's time to go to that place.  
Milla: Y…yes…
Elle: Milla…
Milla: Your business here is done, right? Get lost before I come back.
Rowen: Do you think that was a reaction to a time factor just now?
Elise: Then that means Musee is the time factor?
Julius: Yes, there can be no mistake.
Jude: If we kill Musee, this world will… disappear.
Elise: Where do you think they went?
Alvin: The villagers probably know, right?
Rowen: Let's split up and ask around.
Leia: Please take Jude with you and watch over him. I don't want him to have to deal with this.**
Rowen: …I understand. Leave it to me.
Rowen: Jude-san, Elise-san. Shall we go together?

*She's blind, so I think that's why she doesn't like smells. Cause your other senses are heightened when you lose one.
**Deal with interacting with this alternate Milla, she means. Also, because destroying this world means killing the alternate Milla so as you might imagine, he probably wouldn't fare so well handling that.

==========================

Elle: Milla's here!
Milla: I thought I told you people to get out of here.
Leia: Crap, I totally forgot to contact my work!
Elle: Milla!?
Julius: What are you thinking!?
Milla: That's a "gin," isn't it!?
Milla: Destroying "gin" and all existences related to them is my sister's and my duty!
Alvin: What should we do? It doesn't seem like she'll simply consent to work with us.

-L1: We've no choice but to use brute force.  
-R1: …We should fool her.

L1 Route:
Leia: Do you think we can win? It's not the same Milla, but she's still Milla after all.
Juilus: Shall we get started then? We're together in this, right?
Leia: Ah, that's…
Leia: Please… stop.
Leia: I can't fight MIlla.
Alvin: Sorry, Ludger… I'll have to ask you to stop as well.
Ludger: …
Alvin: Please listen to what we have to say.
Alvin: Your sister is not as she should be.
Milla: What… Don't talk nonsense!

-L1: It's not a lie. Musee is different than she used to be, right?
-R1: Has Musee always been like that?

L1 Route:
Milla: Th… That's… It's my fault she went blind, that's why she's changed…

-L1: No. The time factor changed her.
-R1: You don’t think something else took control of her and caused her to change?

R1 Route:
Milla: My sister is a great spirit! Nothing could take control over her!
Alvin: Are you sure?
Alvin: Doesn't she sometimes talk to something you can't see?
Alvin: Just like she's being controlled.
Milla: How do you know that!?
Alvin: Besides, you've seen it too, right? That thing that seems to be haunting her body.
Milla: What is it?
Leia: It's called a time factor. It's something that takes over people and distorts worlds.
Elle: We have to destroy it. It's a very bad thing.
Milla: Distorts worlds… Just like "gin"…
Alvin: In the past, you and your sister got along well, right?
Alvin: Our has she always shown such hatred and hurt her little sister?
Milla: No! My sister used to be so kind!
Milla: And her eyes, that happened because she protected me!
Milla: In the past, my sister was…
Milla: …Not like that.
Alvin: Ludger has the power to force time factors out of hiding and destroy them.
Milla: That's… the power of spirits!?
Milla: …If the time factor is destroyed, my old sister will come back, right?

-L1: …Yes.
-R1: It's up to you whether you want to believe us or not.

L1 Route:
Milla: …
Milla: Alright. I'll work with you all until we destroy the time factor.
Milla: After it's destroyed, I'll have to ask you to throw away your "gin" and leave this place.
Milla: My sister "sees" her surroundings only by what she hears and smells. If we use that to our advantage, we should be able to stop her movements.
Julius: Will you create a fire?
Milla: …
Milla: Let's go. My sister is at the summit of the Ni Akeria Sacred Mountain.
Julius: Is this really ok?
Ludger: …
Alvin: Don't bully the young kids. Things like this just happen in work, right?
Julius: I understand. That's why…

==========================

Elle: Musee is right there.
Musee: Master… I have completed the wonderful mission you have given me.*
Musee: Now please allow me to return to the spirit world…
Milla: …My sister comes here every night and talks to someone in the same manner.
Elle: Maybe she's talking to your papa?
Milla: I don't know. She won't tell me anything.
Milla: I'll create a diversion to give you an opening. It won't last long though.
Milla: Sister…
Musee: I thought I told you not to leave the shrine!
Milla: But, I was worried about what you were doing sister…
Musee: It's no concern of yours!
Milla: Why? In the past, you used to tell me everything!
Musee: I have nothing to say to you! Now hurry up and return home!
Milla: Why…
Milla: Why did you do this to my sister!
Musee: This is…!?
Milla: Now, Ludger!
Alvin: Wha!?
Musee: You… betrayed me!
Milla: Sister, you're really…
Milla: A monster!
Musee: I'll say it one more time, humans are!
Milla: Ah…
Elle: Milla!
Leia: Elle!
Julius: No!
Julius: Damn!
Ludger: Ahhhh!
Musee: Uhhh….Uwaaaa!

(boss battle)

Milla: Don't move.
Musee: How dare you… take the side of humans. How dare you!
Musee: Die! Die! Die!
Elle: Ludger, Milla is!

-L1: (Save Milla) (Milla +)
-R1: (Kill Musee)

L1 Route:
Ludger: Ah!
Musee: Don't interfere!
Musee: Eh?
Milla: My sister… is a bad person.
Musee: Y… you… how could you…
Milla: I have a name! It's Milla!**
Musee: Millaaaaaaaaa!
Ludger: Ahhh!
Musee: Ahh… ahhh!
Milla: Sis…ter…
Elle: Milla!

Leia: We've returned…
Alvin: So the alternate timeline is destroyed then?
Leia: That's one of the guiding signs of the Land of Canaan?
Ludger: …
Milla: What was that… just now?
Ludger: !***
Alvin: Why were you brought back to the true timeline!?
Julius: As I thought…
Milla: What happened to my sister!? Tell me what's going on!

-L1: …Your world… I destroyed it.
-R1: (I don't know how to tell her…)

L1 Route:
Milla: Huh? Then where are we?
Leia: This is a world different from your own.
Milla: I don't understand what you mean.
Milla: Where is my sister!? She should be back to normal now, right?
Ludger: …
Alvin: The Musee you knew is gone.
Leia: Along with your whole world.
Milla: …I understand one thing at least.
Milla: You tricked me!
Elle: Stop Milla! It's Ludger's job.
Milla: Don't be absurd! There's no such thing as  job where you go around destroying worlds…
Julius: It does exist, actually.
Leia: No, don't take out your "gin" in front of her…
Milla: …
Jude: Ludger, are you safe? You destroyed the time factor, didn't you?
Leia: It sounds like Jude and the others returned safe as well.
Jude: Yes, we're fine. Elise and Rowen are right here with me.
Alvin: Our mission is complete. We should all meet up again.
Leia: Right…
Elle: Milla, come with us.
Milla: …

*The dialogue intentionally cuts off a name and she says "–sama," as in the suffix one might use to address their master. In this  case I think she's talking to the time factor? Or Maxwell?
**Musee called her "omae" which means "you," but is a really rude way to refer to someone in Japanese. Milla actually says "don't call me omae! My name is Milla!"
***Boy, this is awkward ;P

==========================

Elise: Ludger!
Rowen: We returned to the true timeline so suddenly, it surprised us.
Jude: What happened?
Jude: It can't be…
Alvin: Please don't blame Ludger. If we hadn't done this, we couldn't have defeated Musee.*
Ludger: …
Jude: …
Ludger: !?
Rowen: Julius-san, what are you doing!?
Julius: I'm sure you get it now, Ludger. You don't want to have to keep going through this, do you?
Ludger: …
Redau: I see, so that's why you tagged along with them, is it?
Redau: How very interesting. kanari, kyoumi fukai na
Julius: Damn, they were prepared for this.
Jude: Redau-san, why are you here!?
Redau: Well you see, I am the manager of the Alternate Timeline Counter-Measure Division after all.
Redau: Good work, ex-Division Manager Julius. You did well in recovering the guiding sign.
Julius: I'm tired of talking to you.
Ivar: Milla-sama…
Redau: Why are you so uneasy? That's just a fake, after all.
Jude: How can you call her that!?
Ivar: That's cruel!
Ivar: I understand your logic, but…
Redau: Hahaha, you young kids are so naïve.
Redau: Ahh, but I believe ex-Division Manager Julius enjoys interfering with the young people.
Julius: Redau!
Redau: For example… contriving it so that Ludger-kun failed his entrance exam no matter what.
Ludger: !?
Julius: Ah, that was…
Redau: Now then… As division manager, I have orders for you, Ludger-kun.
Redau: Take down Julius and retrieve the guiding sign.
Julius: Ludger… please believe me.

-L1: (Listen to Redau's orders and attack Julius.) (Boss fight again Julius)
-R1: (Believe Julius) (Boss fight against Redau; Julius +)

R1 Route:
Ludger: …!
Redau: Oi oi, give me a break…
Redau: Siblings sure are a pain!
Redau: Hyah!
Julius: Gyah!
Redau: Subordinates who disobey orders need to be punished.
Jude: Ludger!
Ivar: I'll be your opponent.
Jude: !
Ludger: Gr!

(boss battle)

Redau: Just as I thought, siblings…
Redau: …Really make me sick!
Julius: Stop, Redau!
Redau: Aren't you being a little too overprotective of a big brother!?**
Ludger: !
Jude: Ludger!
Redau: This is your last warning. Take the guiding sign of Canaan from him and return with it to headquarters.
Ludger: …
Redau: Ok. That's good.
Julius: I'm sorry, Ludger…
Elle: Ludger…
Ivar: …I'll have to ask you to come with us too.
Milla: …Ah.

*"Hadn't done this" meaning "hadn't tricked Milla" I think.
**Redau actually calls him "onii-chan" directly, which as you might know means big brother. The "-chan" is an honorific you attach to kids, people younger than you, cute things, etc. Redau is mocking Julius.

==========================

Vel: President Bisley is waiting impatiently to see you.
Nova: Ludger!
Nova: Umm… have you heard anything from Julius-san?
Vel: Nova, not again…
Nova: I'm talking to Ludger in private!

-L1: You don't need to worry about Julius.
-R1: …I haven't heard anything.

L1 Route:
Nova: Ah… of course!
Nova: He is a great older brother after all! Raising you in place of your parents…
Ludger: …
Nova: Ludger…

==========================

Bisley: You did well, Ludger. Even better than I expected.
Bisley: You have an excellent younger brother, Julius.
Julius: Don't assess his worth based on this sort of thing.
Milla: "This sort of thing"… You mean destroying other people's worlds?
Bisley: I heard what happened. So you are…
Milla: Milla. Formerly Maxwell.
Bisley: You're not joking?
Milla: Isn't a company that destroys worlds a joke?
Bisley: We're not doing it because we want to. We're doing it to protect the true timeline.
Bisley: And we're doing it in order to find the Land of Canaan.
Milla: The Land of Canaan… You mean the throne of the great of spirit of nothingness, Origin, that is protected by Khronos?
Bisley: "Formerly Maxwell"… It seems you were telling the truth.
Milla: That's just something I heard from my sister though.
Bisley: It's the truth. Also, the great spirit Origin…
Bisley: Originally, it is said that he would grant one wish of any human who found their way to the Land of Canaan, no matter what that wish was.
Julius: Bisley!
Bisley: This was a deal the original three spirits made with humans in ancient times.
Milla: The original three spirits… Maxwell, Khronos, and the great spirit of nothingness, Origin.
Bisley: They called it "Origin's Judgment."
Jude: Any wish will be granted… Origin's Judgment.

-L1: It sounds like a fairy tale.
-R1: Truly any wish at all can be granted? (Bisley +)

R1 Route:
Bisley: That's correct. The great spirit Origin rules over nothingness, the source of all living things. Origin is a being that commands all the other spirits.
Bisley: That is the sort of being that can grant any wish.
Rowen: Why would they make that sort of deal with humans?
Bisley: Strength, will, desire… it is said they wanted to test that which makes humans, human.
Bisley: …Although it's possible they just found watching humans struggle and suffer to be amusing.
Jude: Spirits would not think like that!
Bisley: Yet, it isn't as if spirits exist only to serve humans.
Jude: Uh…
Maxwell: She was just a pawn created for the sake of my mission.*
Julius: …It's probably true.
Julius: Actually, the Kresnik family has always quarreled over who should be the first to arrive in the Land of Canaan.**
Julius: Sometimes, it's between a father and child…
Bisley: And sometimes, it's between and older brother and a younger brother.
Ludger: …
Elle: This coversation is too looonngg!
Alvin: She's right. You have the guiding sign now, so shouldn't we hurry up and get going?
Redau: The situation is not that simple.
Bisley: In order to find the Land of Canaan, 5 guiding signs are necessary.
Bisley: One is this, the Dimensional Sword of Maxwell.
Vel: The rest are the Hollow Dust of Rondau***, the Eye of the Phantom Water Beast, the Heart of the Guardian of the Ark…
Vel: The final sign is currently unknown however…
Julius: …
Redau: Unfortunately, the guiding signs have all disappeared from the true timeline.
Jude: That's why they have to be found in the alternate timelines!
Redau: Correct.
Redau: That's why if a guiding sign is in an alternate timeline, it is in the form of something that differs greatly from the true timeline.
Jude: In other words, the guiding signs are with the time factors.****
Jude: So recovering guiding signs and bringing them back to the true timeline is the true mission of agents, right?
Bisley: However, it's not something just anyone can do.
Bisley: Bringing something that originally existed in an alternate timeline to the true timeline requires a special power.
Vel: We call those who possess such a power…
Vel: …the Key of Kresnik.
Bisley: Ludger, you are one who holds that power.
Julius: …

-L1: (Isn't that Elle's power?)
-R1: My power… (Bisley +)

R1 Route:
Bisley: Yes. My family has searched all over the alternate timelines looking for this power.
Redau: …Heh.
Elle: …
Jude: Why does the Clanspia Company trying to get to the Land of Canaan?
Bisley: To wish for the great spirit Origin to destroy all the alternate timelines.
Bisley: The number of alternate timeline continues to grow, and soon they will reach a point where we will not make it in time if we continue destroying them one by one.
Milla: What a loud grumble.
Elle: It just did it on its own!
Vel: I'll make arrangements for you to eat.
Elle: Elle wants to eat Ludger's cooking.
Bisley: Oh, so Ludger is a good cook?
Elle: Ludger and Milla are both pretty good cooks.
Bisley: Hehe, until your next mission, you can feel free to see to the young lady's request.
Bisley: Ludger, I think you will be able to find the way to the Land of Canaan.

-L1: I don't really want to go.
-R1: I'll do my best. (Bisley +)

R1 Route:
Bisley: I have great hopes for you.
Elle: Elle will go too.
Julius: Ludger, why did you agree to…

*Maxwell is talking about Milla here.
**Ok this line's kind of weird. He says basically what I wrote, that successive generations of the Kresnik family argue about who should be the first to arrive in the Land of Canaan. I'm not sure why it's a race. At first I thought he said the family argues about who was the first family member to ever get there, but that's not right based on the next two lines. So I suppose it is a race. But I'm not sure why if successive generations can go there, Ludger and Julius both can't go there. I suppose this is a plot point that will be revealed later.
***Don't look at me like that, I don't know what this means either haha. Seriously, it's not even a real word. Well, it is a derogatory slang term that Japanese newpapers once used to describe the New York Giants… no really. That's all my research turned up, but obviously that's not what they mean here. Rondau is a tribe in Liese Maxia that Wingal belonged to. The word that's confusing uses two characters, hollow/empty + garbage/dust. So you can see where the derogatory-ness comes from. If anyone knows what they mean by this, let me know.
****They're not one and the same. Guiding signs just assimilate with the time factors when a guiding sign happens to exist in an alternate timeline. As I understand it, there are only 5 guiding signs (possibly there are copies in different alternate timelines), and we've already destroyed a couple time factors early in the game (and Julius has destroyed hundreds according to a sidequest) and those did not become guiding signs, so I think not all time factors are guiding signs.

==========================

Jude: Is it alright if we eat here too?
Elle: I don't mind!
Milla: Do you know what you're saying?*
Elle: It means it doesn't bother me.**
Jude: You seem to be in a good mood, Elle.
Elle: That's because I learned how to get to the Land of Canaan!
Milla: You mean by destroying other people's worlds?
Elle: That can't be helped.
Milla: What do you mean, it can't be helped!
Jude: Milla-san.
Milla: You think that way too?
Jude: I…
Elle: Mabo curry!
Elle: …It's not spicy, right?

-L1: I made it sweet especially for Elle. (Elle +)
-R1: You don't like spicy food? You're such a child.

L1 Route:
Elle: Do you even know what sorts of things I like well enough to make something "especially for me"?***
Elle: Time to dig in!
Elle: This is actually the exact flavor I like!
Milla: "Gin" are even used for cooking, huh?
Jude: Milla-san, about what we were talking about before. So, the Land of Canaan is where the great spirit Origin lives…
Jude: And Origin purifies souls and regulates the flow of souls, correct?
Milla: I told you, I only know what I've heard from my sister.
Aska: 2000 years have passed… Origin cannot continue the purification of souls for long, he has reached his limit.
Jude: The "origin" Volt that went berserk said something about "the corruption of souls progressing."
Volt: Corruption… Souls… Progresses...
Milla: "Origin"?
Elle: It's really important work that Jude is doing.
Jude: If the research of "origin" can be completed, we'll no longer need to use "gin" at all.
Milla: A world without "gin"…
Jude: I think the "origin" going berserk may be related to the purification of souls.
Jude: Even if that's not the case, if the Land of Canaan is the place that will decide the future of our world…
Jude: …Then I have to go there no matter what.
Milla: …
Jude: Milla-san!
Elle: Let's go to the Land of Canaan.
Elle: I want Jude and Milla to come too.
Milla: …I will stay with you all for the time being.
Milla: I have to find out whether or not my world is really gone for good.
Elle: …They didn't finish the food you cooked for them, Ludger.

Lulu: Meow~
Ludger: ?

*Elle says a ritual polite phrase "okamainaku" which literally means "I don't care/I don't mind/don't mind me," but this phrase is only used in polite conversations to mean "please don't make a fuss over me/don't trouble yourself." It's used as a response when a host offers you something to eat or drink. You respond with "please don't trouble yourself," but this doesn't actually mean "no, I don't want anything," it implies the exact opposite in fact, and by saying it you tell the host you would like what they are offering. You're really just apologizing for causing the host to go to the trouble of serving you. Anyway, in this case, Elle is just mimicking something she's heard other people say, as she does quite often. She doesn't know what it means though, and I believe she's using it in the literal sense of "I don't mind/care."
**This is lost in translation as well. Now she wrongly breaks "okamainaku" down further and says the meaning is "okama ga inai," or "there is no okama." Which is the wrong way to break this word down (it comes from the verb "kamau", the negative of which is "kamawanai"). Anyway, I'm not sure what she means by this, because well… "okama" means pot/butt/volcanic crater/male homosexual… yeah she doesn't know what "okama" means. She clearly doesn't know what she's saying, she just broke down the word based on her basic understanding of grammar.
***She actually said "do you know what 'especially for Elle' even means?" but I think she means what I wrote in the dialogue.

==========================

Elle: Ludger, push me!
Elle: You're not very nice. Even though you need Elle.
Ludger: !?
Elle: Hey, that "key" thing.
Elle: Ludger's "special power" is related to Elle, right?
Elle: So, if Elle isn't around, it would be bad for Ludger, right?

-L1: What are you trying to say?
-R1: Yes, it would be bad. (Elle +)

R1 Route:
Elle: Just like I thought!
Elle: It would be bad for Elle if Ludger wasn't around too.
Elle: That's why…
Elle: Will you go with me to the Land of Canaan?
Ludger: …

-L1: Alright, let's go together. (Elle +)
-R1: …I guess I have no choice. 

L1 Route:
Elle: You're giving it back?
Elle: …Oh, I see!
Elle: It doesn't matter if Elle holds onto it, right? Because we'll be together!
Elle: It's really a real promise, Ludger.
Ludger: ?
Elle: Papa told me that when you make a real promise you have to look into each other's eyes.
Elle: Elle and Ludger will go to the Land of Canaan together.
Ludger: …Yeah.
Elle: It's a promise!

 ==========================

ノヴァからのコール6 [main]
Call from Nova 6

Nova: Ludger, I have good news! Your movement restrictions on Samangan Port have been lifted.
Nova: It looks like the fact that you've been gradually paying back your debt is being rewarded.
Elle: Alright! With this, I can feel we've gotten just a little closer to the Land of Canaan!
Nova: Oh, Elle seems really excited!
Elle: No, I'm just the same as usual.
Elle: Have adults just forgotten what it's like to get excited about things?
Nova: Ah… I think you're right. I have to rediscover such excitement and enthusiasm within my heart or else!
Nova: Samangan Port is now open to you! Congratulations!
Nova: Banzaai! Banzaai!*
Elle: You don't have to go that far…
Ludger: Haha…

*This is a pretty well known word, even in the English-speaking world. It's a cheer, like "hurrah."

==========================

ヴェルからのコール2 [main]
Call from Vel 2

Vel: This is Vel. Good work thus far. I have urgent business to discuss with you.
Vel: Ex-Division Manager Julius stole the guiding sign of Canaan that we recovered and escaped.
Ludger: Wha!?
Vel: Also, we received a message for you from someone named Arst.
Vel: The message is, "I'll be waiting for you in front of the Clanspia Company."
Elle: The king!
Ludger: …

-L1: We'll chase after Julius! (Proceed to Ch9, Musee's chapter)
-R1: I want to meet with Arst, but… (Proceed to Ch8, Gaius's chapter)

R1 Route:
Vel: …Understood.
Vel: When you're ready to chase after ex-Division Manager Julius, I'll contact you again.

Chapter Index | Previous Chapter | Skits
Next Chapter (If you choose to meet Gaius) 
Next Chapter (If you choose to chase Julius)

3 comments:

  1. That was a really long chapter and also a interesting one! (and I think also the longest of the game)
    Just a Question: Are you planning to do Chapter 8 or Chapter 9 next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'LL SAY it was long D: haha, took me over a week to get through it. I was so relieved to see that the next few chapters are shorter lol. This chapter's not quite done yet though, there's still the skit after you pay back the debt to translate.

      I'm planning to proceed through the game in the order the chapters are listed on the walkthroughs for the purposes of this translation, so I'm going to do Chapter 8 (the Gaius chapter) next. However, before that there are still 4 character episodes I need to translate, plus some sidequesting, so I probably won't get to Ch8 until this weekend.

      Delete
    2. Yes, but now you don't have to do it again anymore, so you can look forward to the next parts.

      Don't worry I'm happy with every part that is translated.

      Delete