Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tales of Xillia 2 - Alvin Episode 1 English Translation

Chapter Index

Alvin Episode 1 – Businessman Alvin

Alvin: Hey, do you have some free time?
Elle: What is it?
Leia: Be careful. He's probably going to ask you to do something really troublesome.
Alvin: As always, your guess is right on the mark.
Leia: When you start a conversation with those words, I know exactly what you're planning.
Alvin: I'm heading to work right now actually, would you mind coming along and giving me a hand?
Leia: Alvin works as a trader.
Leia: He buys fresh fruit grown in Liese Maxia and sells it in the Elenpios markets.
Alvin: We just started, so it's hard work to promote and sell my wares.
Alvin: I'm counting on you.  

-L1: Got it. Leave it to me. (Alvin +)
-R1: I don't know… that sounds like a pain.

L1 Route:
Alvin: Oh, you're so reliable. Thank you.
Alvin: Just act like you're a normal passerby and if you can nail this speech that'd be great.*
Leia: You want him to pretend to like your stuff…**
Alvin: Alright. Then, I'll go on ahead.
Alvin: Pretend to be a normal passerby, got it?
Leia: I guess you have no choice now.

*He tells him what to say off screen while Leia is speaking in the next line, I'm assuming.
**Err, I know what she says is really short in Japanese, but I don't know if there's a word for it in English? My Japanese-English dictionary says "hired applauder", but that doesn't sound natural. Basically, hiring someone to go out and pretend to be a satisfied customer, which is obviously a little shady (and yet happens all the time in real life), but it's Alvin so…

==========================

Alvin: Anyway, if you buy my wares, I'm sure your customers will be very pleased with the freshness and tastiness of the fruit.
Shopkeeper: I wonder if the customers will even notice the difference.
Alvin: Hey, you all there.
Alvin: I wonder if you would mind doing a taste test for us?

Alvin: Well? I bet you can really taste the difference, right?
Leia: Hmm…
Leia: The one on the right is a sweet. The one on the left is a little sour though…
Shopkeeper: Hmm… I see.
Shopkeeper: What about you? Which did you like best?

-L1: The one on the left.
-R1: I think the one on the right is the tastiest too. (Alvin +)

R1 Route:
Man: Huh…
Alvin: Just like I told you.
Man: …Alright, I'll buy.
Man: I'll try selling your paranges.*
Alvin: Excellent.
???: Please stop!
Elle: A fight?
Leia: That voice…
Leia: Let's go too.

*A joke on "orange" of course. "Napples" exist too. They were part of a sidequest in the first game.

==========================

Jurgens: I just came to sell my merchandise. I haven't done anything to bother you all.*
Man: Wrong. You are bothering us. Why don't you Liese Maxians just go back to where you came from?
Jurgens: I've told you, I just came here to do discuss doing business with the Rakanon Company.
Man: And we're telling you that you won't be discussing anything.
Alvin: Are you ok?
Jurgens: Alvin:
Leia: Alvin!
Jurgens: Please. Let me meet with the Altoss family of the Rakanon Company.
Man: He sure is persistent.
Alvin: You'd create a scene on this public street?
Man: Within the territory of the Rakanon Company, it won't become an incident.
Man: No matter what happens to you Liese Maxians and your companions.
Ivar: Hoh!
Man: Wha!?
Ivar: Trying to create bloodshed with the city, you bastards!
Ivar: Clanspia Company's Multi-Agent** Ivar-sama will punish you!
Ivar: Wha… You people! You'll never learn!
Leia: Wha! We didn't even do anything…
Ivar: There's no use arguing!

(boss battle)

Ivar: I am a multi-agent… I won't be beaten this easily!
Alvin: I said wait. Look around you.
Ivar: What?
Citizen: Is this the police? There's a dangerous person swinging a sword around in the middle of the city…
Citizen: Yes, he says he's an agent, but…
Ivar: Y…You see what happens when you act violently in the middle of a city! Remember that!
Elle: What was that…
Leia: He never changes, does he?
Alvin: You shouldn't act so rashly on your own. Well, I'm glad you're safe though .
Jurgens: I'm sorry…
???: You people.
Shopkeeper: So you know each other, do you?
Alvin: Ah, no this is just a misunderstanding…
Shopkeeper: You can forget about our agreement.
Leia: Sorry! It went so well too…
Alvin: It's fine. There are plenty of other people to do business with out there.
Jurgens: Did you do something again?
Alvin: Huh? It's nothing. Don't worry about it.
Jurgens: …Honestly.
Jurgens: I don't know how much I can trust what you say.
Jurgens: …Oh, I have to hurry.
Jurgens: I'll contact you later.
Alvin: …Right.
Leia: I don't think he meant that seriously.
Alvin: I wonder…

-L1: You're seriously upset, aren't you? (Alvin +)
-R1: You're so pessimistic. 

L1 Route:
Alvin: Upset? …Me?
Leia: Well, if you really didn't care, you wouldn't have looked so shocked when he said that.
Alvin: Stupid. It's not that.
Alvin: …It's just that I don't want to be a liar anymore.***
Leia: Ah… I see. That's good for you.
Alvin: Well, work today didn't turn out so well, but…
Alvin: How can I say it… Thank you.

*His name is not stated here, but he's from ToX1. I borrowed the spelling of his name from the Tales of Translations blog since I couldn't figure it out. I don't think he's had any official spelling for his name released yet. Jurgens is a German name pronounced "Yur-gens". 
**He means "multi" as in like, an agent that does all kind of different things because he's just that awesome, at least in his mind. Oh Ivar lol.
***He lied a whole lot in ToX1 (a whoooollle lot >_>) which is where this resolution is stemming from.

Chapter Index

No comments:

Post a Comment