Sunday, February 3, 2013

Tales of Xillia 2 - Chapter 8 English Translation

Chapter Index | Skits
Previous Chapter | Next Chapter (If you chose to meet Gaius in Ch7) 
Previous Chapter | Next Chapter (If you chose to chase Julius in Ch7) 

Chapter 8 – Gaius's Test

Man: Oh, Arst-san, it seems the people you've been waiting for have arrived.
Gaius: It was a good discussion. I hope to speak with you again.
Man: Next time we can talk over drinks.
Gaius: Then let me treat you.
Leia: I saw the crowd gathered and thought Gaius must be in the middle of it.
Leia: Ah, I was showing Milla around. She said she wanted to learn about Elenpios.
Milla: It really is a city built of "gin"…
 Leia: You look like you were having an interesting conversation, Gaius.
Gaius: Yes. The more I talk to them, the more I realize the people of Elenpios are just the same as the people of Liese Maxia.

-L1: They all pay for each other's drinking bill? (Leia, Gaius +)
-R1: You had some business to discuss with me?

L1 Route:
Gaius: Hmph, that's an Elenpios way of thinking.
Gaius: If you came in contact with a lot of people, you would come to understand.
Leia: I understand.
Gaius: I heard everything from Rowen. So you were formerly Maxwell.
Milla: You seem rather important, but who are you?
Elle: He is important. He's a  real king.
Milla: And? You forget, I was the master of all spirits.
Gaius: I see, interesting.
Gaius: It seems the alternate timelines really do exist.
Milla: …
Gaius: Well then, let's get right to the point now.
Gaius: Ludger, I want to know if you really are worthy to carry the fate of the world on your shoulders.

-L1: That was very condescending.
-R1: And what if you determine I'm not worthy?

R1 Route:
Gaius: I would kill you.
Milla: Well, of course.
Elle: No, you can't do that!
Leia: What do you want Ludger to do?
Ludger: Bring me with you to the next alternate timeline.
Gaius: I want to see your actions with my own eyes.
Vel: It's Vel. A new alternate timeline has been discovered.
Vel: The entry point is near Khan Balk. I'm counting on you to take care of it.
Gaius: Hmph, perfect timing.
Milla: I'll go too.
Milla: To see your resolve in destroying worlds.
Ludger: …
Elle: And if Ludger does well?
Gaius: Then that would be good.

(bonus scene if you completed Leia Episode 2)

Leia: Hey.
Leia: I'm working as a journalist for a newspaper now. Would it be alright to write about you, Gaius?
Gaius: I'm afraid I'm supposed to be travelling in secret.
Leia: Well then, I can wait to publish the article until your work is finished.
Gaius: It might take years.
Leia: I'll wait. No matter how many years.
Gaius: …Then, you can do as you like.
Leia: Thank you! I just know this will be a great scoop.

(end bonus scene)

Leia: But, if you needed to talk to Ludger so badly, you could've just contacted him on his GHS.
Leia: If you don't know his number, would you like me to send it to you?
Gaius: No, Rowen entered the numbers already, but…
Leia: Could it possibly be that…. you're bad at using machines?
Gaius: Now then, please guide me to the alternate timeline.
Leia: And suddenly, I've got a scoop!

==========================

Gaius: So this is an alternate timeline…
Vel: We've detected a guiding sign of Canaan in that timeline. We're counting on you to recover it.
Elle: There's a guiding sign here!
Gaius: What now?
Leia: First, we look for the thing that is most different from the true timeline. That is most likely the time factor.
Milla: this is your home, right? Do you notice anything strange?
Gaius: …The city's air is unusually thick.
Leia: Let's ask around for information. That's the basis of any good investigation!

==========================

Guard: …Step back. King Reen has given orders that no one is to enter the castle.

-L1: (Force your way in) (battle, Leia +)
-R1: (Turn around and go back)*

L1 Route:
Guard: We won't allow you to enter! If I disobey orders I'll be killed!

(battle)

*If you don't fight I think you have to sneak in via the rooftops. You can get to the rooftops through a path near the church on the outskirts of town.

==========================

Wingal: I didn't expect this to happen…
Wingal: I didn't expect…
Wingal: I thought I said no one was to enter!
Wingal: Who are you people…?
Leia: Wingal…!?
Wingal: Hmph, again assassins have come for my life…
Wingal: Don't worry, no one will come to help me. A lonely king is the most suitable for assassination.
Wingal: However, without fail, I will make you regret coming here!
Elle: What is that!?

-L1: (Transform and attack him!)
-R1: I wanted to try talking to him first… (Gaius +)

R1 Route:
Gaius: I want to as well.
Gaius: This is one possible future.
Gaius: This world is likely one that came about due to an error in judgment that I made.  
(Speaking the Rondau language)
Gaius: Calm down Reen.
Wingal: Bastard, don't you know who you're speaking to!?
Gaius: Have you already forgotten my face?
Wingal: Arst…
(Back to Japanese)
Wingal: Arst! You came back!
Wingal: Ah, For… forgive me.
Gaius: What happened?
Wingal: You want… me to tell you?
Gaius: …
Wingal: To begin with, you abandoned this country's people and abdicated the throne.
Leia: Gaius did? Why!?
Wingal: Carla was sick with a fatal disease. You wanted to be with her for the remainder of her life.
Gaius: Carla had… a fatal disease…
Elle: Carla?
Leia: Gaius's younger sister.
Wingal: Once you decide something, I know that you won't waver from that decision.
Wingal: That was why I asked Carla to persuade you to return.
Wingal: Carla understood and sympathized. But, I never thought she would…
Gaius: In order to stop me from leaving, she took her own life.
Wingal: I'm so sorry, Arst!
Wingal: I never intended for her to do that…! Please believe me… Please believe me…
Gaius: And from the shock of losing her, the me of this world ran away and disappeared.
Wingal: You…!?
Wingal: You're not Arst, are you!?
Gaius: No, I am not the Arst that you knew. But I understand how he feels.
Wingal: How could you understand!?
Wingal: There is only one Arst Outway who was my true friend!
Gaius: So there was a possibility for us to truly become friends…
 Wingal: But, I was apparently the only one who thought we were friends!
Wingal: He abandoned his people, and he abandoned me!
Wingal: Why… Why, Arst!
Elle: The time factor!
Milla: Ludger didn't even need to confirm he was the time factor, did he?*
Leia: Gaius, is this ok?
Gaius: Destroying alternate timelines, so this is what it means?
Gaius: I now understand this pain. My test of Ludger's resolve is complete.
Ludger: …
Gaius: He's coming!

(boss battle)

Wingal: Help… me… Arst…
Gaius: The person who sits on that throne must prioritize the greater good over their own individual needs.
Gaius: A king is a solitary figure who must abandon himself for the greater good.
Wingal: I couldn't… handle it…
Gaius: …I see.
Gaius: Ludger, I'll leave the rest to you.

-L1: (Destroy the time factor.) (Gaius +)
-R1: Are you sure, Gaius…?

L1 Route:
Ludger: Ahhhh!
Gaius: …Excellent.

Elle: Ludger, the guiding sign!
Elle: Umm… I think Ludger did very well.
Lulu: Meow~
Ludger: …
Gaius: You did well.
Gaius: So that was an alternate timeline.
Gaius: …There were times when I too considered abdicating the throne for Carla's sake.
Gaius: However, in the end I chose to be king. Do you know why?

-L1: Because Gaius was strong enough to make that choice?
-R1: Because you like being king? (Gaius +)

R1 Route:
Gaius: Hm, that's a very Elenpios way of thinking, but it may not be far from the truth.
Gaius: Interacting with people, as I have been doing here, gave me strength.
Gaius: I think I like being king, as it means I can volunteer myself to work for their sakes.
Gaius: Ludger, this is your problem as well.
Gaius: The harshness of destroying alternate timelines would eat away at even the strongest of hearts.
Gaius: If you fight alone, someday the loneliness will consume you.
Milla: …
Elle: Loneliness means being all alone, right?
Elle: Then that won't happen to Ludger. Because Elle and Lulu are with him.
Milla: Such words make you seem all grown up.
Elle: Of course! Because Elle is grown up!**
Elle: ?
Leia: Hey, Gaius. I think in the case of having people to support Ludger, the more the merrier.
Gaius: Yes, you're right. If you need help, just call me.
Gaius: Even if I happen to be having a drink at the time, I don't mind.
Leia: We did it, Ludger! Being acknowledged by Gaius is an amazing feat.
Milla: Will you treat him then?
Gaius: No, I think we'll just split the costs.
Milla: Did he really acknowledge you?
Ludger: Haha…

(bonus scene if you completed Leia Episode 2)

Leia: Sigh, it seems like I won't be able to write that article about Gaius for a long time.

-L1: Are you ok with that? (Leia +)
-R1: What if you secretly write it?

L1 Route:
Leia: There's no helping it.
Leia: Gaius doesn't speak much, but he always seems to be thinking about so many important things, don't you think?
Leia: In order to properly understand everything, I first have to become an adult myself.
Leia: It's the same with Ludger.***
Leia: I'm not just going to write up some quick article just for fun, I'll put my all into it, so don’t worry.

(end bonus scene)

*His Corpse Shell reacts to time factors, remember? That's what she means.
**Umm, this is sort of lost in translation I think, possibly. The word "grown up" contains the Japanese word for "one person," so I think Elle just copies Milla's phrase and thinks she is saying that "Elle is one person," which is, of course, true. This is my guess at why they laugh at her.
***She's talking about the fact that Ludger agreed to let her write about the alternate timelines back in Leia Episode 2.

==========================

ノヴァからのコール7 [main]
Call from Nova 7

Nova: Good work Ludger! You now have permission to go to Lacorum Port.
Nova: Our confidence in your ability to pay back your debt is increasing. Steadiness and diligence are the most important traits in people as I thought.
Elle: Papa said so too. He said if I don't marry someone who is steady, he'll never forgive me.*
Nova: Although, someone who is constantly steady and diligent and an all around "good person" can be a little boring.
Elle: Like a person who will just go along with anything.
Nova: Right, right~
Ludger: Eh…

*The word they use for steadiness  also means diligent/earnest/honest/serious.

==========================

ヴェルからのコール3 [main]
Call from Vel 3

Vel: It's Vel. I have additional information on the wherabouts of ex-Division Manager Julius, who ran away after stealing the guiding sign of Canaan.
Vel: Ludger-sama, we would like to ask for you cooperation in this matter.
Vel: We ask that you meet up with Division Manager Redau's pursuit team in Ilart Port.
Elle: We have to get the guiding sign back.
Ludger: …

Chapter Index | Skits
Previous Chapter | Next Chapter (If you chose to meet Gaius in Ch7) 
Previous Chapter | Next Chapter (If you chose to chase Julius in Ch7) 

No comments:

Post a Comment