Friday, January 18, 2013

Tales of Xillia 2 - Skits Ch1-6 English Translation

Chapter Index

Includes all main story skits for Chapters 1-6. Other skits activated not from story progression (including character episode skits) can be found here. The skits for Nova's phone calls that occur after you pay back your debt at the end of each chapter are included within the chapter translations. This is because those are the only skits you are forced to watch as a part of the story. 

To rewatch skits you've already seen, click on ライブラリ in the menu, then click チャットリスト.

Chapter 1 

駅へ向かう青 [main]
The guy heading for the station

Jude: This isn't my first time in Triglav, but everytime I come here I end up getting lost.
Jude: You were on your way to the station too, right?

-L1:  I work in the station cafeteria, what about you? (Jude +)
-R1: (Too much trouble to respond. Ignore him.)

L1 Route:
Jude: I'm on my way to visit the Askord Natural Factory. I was invited to the ceremony.
Ludger: Wow…
Jude: Ah, it's just because I know someone involved. I'm still just a new researcher…
Jude: Ah, about the station cafeteria… is there anything you recommend?
Ludger: Umm…
Jude: I've heard that Triglav is famous for it's gratin…

さっきの女の子は[main]
Who was that girl…?

Jude: By the way, Ludger…
Ludger: ?
Jude: Is it alright for you to leave that girl behind?

-L1:  She really put me in an awkward situation. Calling me a molester…
-R1: I don't know. We just met by chance.

R1 Route:
Jude: I see… But don't you think it's strange that such a little girl is all by herself?
Jude: I wonder if she got lost from her parents?
Ludger: …
Jude: …Oh, this is no time for idle chit-chat, is it? Let's get moving.

エルはなぜ一人で [main]
Why is Elle all by herself?

Lulu: Meow…
Jude: Is that your cat, Ludger?
Ludger: Yes.
Jude: I thought it was her cat.
Elle: I'm not scared… I'm not scared…
Jude: Hey, Ludger. Do you think Elle is really all alone?

-L1:  Probably. It's dangerous, so we shouldn't leave her alone.
-R1: Her parents were probably killed in the terrorist attack… (Elle +)

R1 Route:
Elle: No, that's wrong! I came here by myself!
Elle: Mama has been gone for a long time, and Papa…
Elle: I won't say! It would be bad if Papa's enemies found out anything!
Elle: Ahhh! There's so much blood!
Jude: I see, but we're not your enemies so please don't worry.
Elle: As long as you know…

異形の姿 [main]
Suspicious Form

Jude: By the way Ludger, that form you took…
Elle: You became so scary. Just like a bad guy.
Lulu: Meow~
Jude: No, it felt more like the power of spirit artes to me.
Elle: Spirit…?
Jude: They're mysterious creatures that connect humans and nature.
Jude: It's rare to find one in Elenpios, but in Liese Maxia they're all over the place.
Elle: There are lots of those scary creatures!?
Jude: Spirits hold great power, but they're not our enemies.
Jude: Also, Elle. Ludger is not a scary person, nor a bad person.
Jude: He's this kitty's owner after all.
Elle: …Really?
Lulu: Meow…?
Jude: Haha…

Chapter 2

借金返 [main]
Debt Repayment

Jude: Before I realized what was going on, Redau-san's medical treatment was already finished.
Jude: He's from the Clanspia Company, so I thought he was trustworthy. To think that he was that kind of person.
Elle: These are my treasures, but maybe if we sell them…
Jude: What is it Elle?
Elle: These. If we sell them we can earn some money.
Jude: It's pretty, but… they're just seashells, so…
Elle: They won't help, huh… I spent a whole day collecting them too…

-L1:  It's not something Elle needs to worry about. (Elle +)
-R1: Nova is a friend. It'll work out somehow.

L1 Route:
Elle: It is something to worry about! Money is important!
Elle: If you don't have money, you can't eat, and you'll get kicked out of your home too!
Ludger: …
Jude: Elle, I feel the same way. Will you lend a hand to help out Ludger?
Elle: …Yes. I'll help.
Nova: Hello hello, Ludger~
Nova: Oh, this is completely a personal call, by the way.
Nova: I was thinking it's been so long since we last met, and we couldn't even properly greet each other.
Nova: Even though we had to meet under such circumstances, since we're in touch again I hope we get a long! Well, talk to you later~
Elle: What a noisy person.
Ludger: …
Jude: Something's strange. Nova-san was also on that train, but…
Jude: But she acted as if nothing happened…
Ludger: …

エルの事 [main]
Elle's Situation 

Jude: Ludger, you lived together with Julius-san, right?
Lulu: Meow!
Jude: Sorry, you live with Julius-san and Lulu, right?
Ludger: Yes.
Lulu: Meow~!
Elle: Elle too! Except it was just Elle and Papa, so only two of us instead of three.
Elle: Although, when Elle was really little, we had an old cat named Boro.
Jude: Elle, were is your home?
Elle: …
Jude: Ah, I won't tell any of your father's enemies, so…
Elle: …I don't know. The boat I got on left so suddenly.
Elle: I snuck into a warehouse nearby after landing, and hid in a box that said it was being sent to Triglav. Then before I knew it I was in the city…
Jude: So, you don't know how to get home?
Jude: … 

Chapter 3

ほっとするこ [etc.]
Sigh of Relief 

Elle: Yay~. We finally made it back to Triglav.
Lulu: Meow~…
Jude: Anyhow, I'm glad we made it back.
Jude: Coming to this city makes me feel relieved.

-L1: You have memories here?
-R1: …You're relieved?

L1 Route:
Jude: Yes... This is the first city I came too after arriving in Elenpios for the first time.
Jude: I was so surprised then.
Elle: Hmm. What kind of surprise?
Jude: Hmm, I'm not sure... Well, you see...
Jude: We had been fighting in this place that felt almost like heaven, and then we got sucked into a rift in space-time...
Ludger: !?
Elle: Wha?
Jude: When I finally woke up, I was sleeping on the floor in a room in Elenpios. I didn't recognize any of my surroundings.
Jude: I was so surprised I didn't know what to be surprised at first.
Elle: ...To Elle... the most surprising thing is that you can say all those things while smiling...
Lulu: Meow~...

イバルとの関 [main]
Relation to Ivar

Jude: I was so surprised... To meet up with Ivar again like this.
Elle: How does Jude know that person?
Elle: Jumping down from the ceiling like that. What a ridiculous person.
Lulu: Meow!
Jude: Yeah... I'm sorry about that.
LUdger: Haha...
Elle: This isn't a laughing matter, Ludger! You were taken down so easily.
Lulu: Meow!
Ludger: Oh...
Jude: Ivar is quite strong though. He was Maxwell's assistant after all.
Elle: Maxwell's assistant?
Jude: It's kind of a long story...
Elle: A long story, huh... Sounds like it's complicated.
Jude: Yes, somehow it became very complicated.
Jude: Even though our original intentions were the same...
 

素朴な疑問 [etc.]
A Simple Question
(Activates in Duvohl's marketplace)


Elle: There sure are a lot of shops around here.
Jude: That's because Duvohl is a merchant city. You can find pretty much anything here.
Elle: Ohh. Hey, if someone says there stuff "is cheap", just how cheap do they mean?

-L1: Super cheap.
-R1: …Just a little.

R1 Route: 
Elle: Just a little? Why?
Jude: Well, probably they want to make it as cheap as they can, but there are other factors preventing them…
Elle: Ohh. Well then, Elle knows just what to do!
Elle: At these times, you just need to haggle down the price.
Jude: I've never tried that but… Elle you certainly know a lot about the world.
Elle: It's simple. I read about it in a book.
Elle: You just take the price tag like this a tear part off… rip rip~
Ludger: !?
Elle: Wha?
Lulu: Meow~
Jude: Waa, the digits completely changed!?
Jude: You can't just go around changing price tags!

Chapter 4

新聞記者レイア [main]
Journalist Leia

Leia: "News Flash! The great mystery surrounding the train terrorist attack has now come to light!"
Leia: "Action Reporter Rolando will soon divulge the shocking truth! Wait for the big reveal!!"
Jude: Leia, what are you writing down?
Leia: Just working on a rough draft for an article.
Elle: An article! Almost like a journalist!
Leia: You didn't need to add the "almost like".
Jude: But that wasn't an article you were writing, it was just a couple lines trying to build up excitement. Also, from start to finish it was not impartial.*
Leia: Amateurs shouldn't say anything about a pro's work.
Jude: If you're a pro that's great and all, but are you meeting your deadlines alright?
Jude: You can't just copy off my work anymore like you used to do on our school homework, after all.
Leia: Ohh, shut up! You're standing in the way of the freedom of journalism!
Jude: What does this have to do with the freedom of journalism!? We're talking about acting like an adult.
Elle: Hey, Ludger. Are Jude and Leia…

-L1: You two act just like a married couple. (Leia +)
-R1: You two act just like a mother and child.

L1 Route:
Jude: A married couple!?
Leia: Ehhhh, wrong! Completely wrong! Did we really come off like that~~
Ludger: Oh! Gya! Urgggh!
Elle: Leia is strong…
Leia: …Sorry. My staff just has a mind of it's own.
Jude: In the end Leia, it seems you prefer your staff to your pen.

R1 Route:**
Elle: A mother… Mama…
Elle: Elle doesn't remember Mama so I don't know…
Ludger: !?
Leia: Elle, everyone's mama is the same.
Leia: She yells at you, loves you, and is the one who worries about you the most… that's a mama.
Elle: I...I know! Elle's mama was just like that for sure!
Jude: You really helped her, Leia.
Leia: It was no problem. I think little girls need the a lot of care and attention.
Leia: Huh, from my editor-in-chief…?
Leia: Crap! I forgot one of my deadlines!
Jude: You understand now why I sometimes feel like I have to act like your mother, right?

*This line was tough because it was kind of vague. I'm almost positive my translation is accurate, although it took me about 30+ min of research >.>
**Just this once I translated both routes cause this skit is cute and I love Leia~

手配 [etc.]
Wanted Posters

Elle: Don't think about it… Don't think about it…
Jude: Elle, are you thinking about what happened on the train? That must've been really frightening for you…
Elle: No. What I'm thinking about are those pictures they put up in Ludger's apartment.
Elle: For some reason, those pictures made me shudder.
Jude: Ah, those are wanted posters. I'm sure Ivar must've snuck in and put them up.
Elle: Wanted… posters…
Elle: Those are somehow related to Ludger and the guy with glasses, right?
Jude: Well you could say that, or you could say it's because of that incident…*
Jude: Did you see them too, Ludger?

-L1: I saw. You mean that right?
-R1: I didn't see them. What are they like?

L1 Route:
Jude: So you saw them after all, those pictures…
Elle: Noo! Don't make me think about them!
Lulu: Mrrooww!
Jude: It seems like Elenpios gets their wanted posters from the same place as Liese Maxia…**
Elle: Why don't they just use photographs?
Elle: Ludger, why don't you give the police a photo of yourself and tell them to use that?
Ludger: !
Jude: Drawn pictures can reflect the mind of a criminal and show their true form… and that's why they use them, or so I've heard.
Elle: So then, those pictures are Ludger and that guy's true forms…
Elle: That's even scarier than that strange form with the spear!
Lulu: Meow!
Ludger: Oh…!
Jude: You think? I wonder if there are a lot of criminals who simply cannot stand the wanted posters and just turn themselves into the police.

*This line and the one before are really vague and confusing! I'm not sure if I got them right. Jude's line was even more confusing. They're not really important though. Elle says, あれって、ルドガーとメガネのおじさんのなんかだよね?and Jude says, なんかというか、そのものというか… If you know what this means in this context let me know.
**He's referring to the terribly drawn wanted posters in ToX1.

悪い大臣! [main]
An Evil Prime Minister!? 

Elle: Rowen, you're friends with a king.
Rowen: Yes, I'm acting as Gaius-san's prime minister.
Elle: Prime... minister?*
Leia: To say it more simply, it's someone who helps the king rule a country.**
Leia: He's the second most important person in Liese Maxia.
Elle: Ohh, I get it... From what I've heard, those people are usually very bad people.
Leia: Oh yes indeed. They bully the king and take over the country.
Rowen: ...Oh no! You've discovered my secret ambitions.
Elle: What!?
Rowen: Oh yes, my hobby is capturing kings.
Rowen: I will invade the king's domain! I will take his soldiers! And then I will corner my enemies so there is no escape.

Elle: I have to tell the king!
Rowen: ...I'm talking about shogi though.***
Elle: Prime ministers are bullies after all.
Leia: That's just the way Rowen is.

*She doesn't understand the meaning of the word.
**She actually just said a different (and I suppose easier to understand) Japanese word that also means "prime minister", but that would not have made sense in a direct translation, so I just changed it a little bit.
***Japanese game similar to chess.
 
Chapter 5

ティポVSルル [etc.]
Tipo vs. Lulu

Elise: Hello, you're Ludger's cat aren't you?
Lulu: …
Tipo: Hello! My name is Tipo!
Lulu: Meow…
Tipo: My, you have such a spectacularly large belly…
Lulu: Grr?
Tipo: Of course, I meant that in a good way…
Elise: Please get along, ok?
Tipo: Lulu's paws and I are both soft and squishy, so we must be friends.
Lulu: Mrow…*
Tipo: Shock! Lulu's paw is…
Elise: So much softer than Tipo!
Lulu: Meow~
Elise: I think we lost Tipo…
Tipo: We must call her "master" now…
Lulu: Meow!

*She basically just makes a little cat equivalent sound of "hmph" here, but I didn't really know what to write in English. In Japanese it's just "fu…" but that doesn't really mean anything in English haha.

アルヴィンとエリーゼ [main]
Alvin and Elise

Alvin: Elise, your taste in clothing sure has changed.
Elise: Drossel bought this especially for my trip to Elenpios.
Tipo: Elise's friends at school all got together to buy her the ribbons!
Alvin: Heh, you're really making friends.
Elise: Alvin, even though you're a businessman now, you still come off as a suspicious person.
Alvin: My business partner is too nice of a guy, so I'm in charge of getting things done with a little intimidation when the situation calls for it.
Tipo: Looks like you're making friends too~!
Jude: Tipo, you're with Elise again?
Tipo: Yep, though I was stored away for a while…
Elise: On this trip, we all promised to show each other our stuffed animals.
Tipo: Everyone wanted to know how cute I was~!
Ludger: Eh!?
Elise: You think Tipo… is cute, right?
Tipo: Right?
Ludger: …

-L1: Very cute. Especially his horns. (Alvin +)
-R1: Lulu is much cuter. You're not cute at all.

L1 Route:
Jude: Ah, no wait…!
Elise: They're not horns, they're ears.
Tipo: Even though my softness was my selling point, to say that I have horns…*
Jude: In the past, I accidentally said the same thing.
Alvin:  Hahaha, you two really are alike.
Lulu: Meow…

*Tipo dolls were sold in the Xillia universe in the first game. Tipo's the only that thinks for itself though.

テロ組織アルクノア [main]
The Terrorist Group Ark Noah

Alvin: Causing an uproar in so many places. Ark Noah sure know what they're doing.
Elise: They were finally able to return to their homes, so why are they still fighting…?*
Alvin: When they returned home, they found they no longer had a place they belonged. There were a lot of people like that.**
Alvin: To escape that reality, many of them are directing their frustration at the Elenpios government as it tries to cooperate with Liese Maxia.
Alvin: It's much easier to blame others for your bad luck, and it's easier to live in the past.
Jude: It's not just that.
Jude: At present Ark Noah is taking advantage of the dissatisfaction many people feel over the current state of Elenpios.
Alvin: Elepios is a society that has reached its limits. The discontent and complaints are piling up high.
Alvin: In order to create a conflict with Liese Maxia, they know that feeding the discontent is the most effective way.
Elise: Don't say it like it's a sure thing.
Alvin: Of course, I don't intend to stand by and do nothing.
Alvin: I was able to return home because of all of you. I won't sit by and watch my home be destroyed.
Elise: Alvin…
Tipo: So proactive!
Alvin: Thanks to you all, right?

*Ark Noah in the first game were people from Elenpios who got stuck inside Liese Maxia and the motive behind their plotting was simply to return home. Well I can tell you why they're still causing trouble, because this is an unplanned sequel and we need a villainous organization for our heroes to fight ;D
**They were stuck in Liese Maxia for 20 years, so whatever lives they had are now gone.

一年前は…… [etc.]
A year ago…

Alvin: Walking through here, it brings back a lot of memories from a year ago.
Jude: Yeah, a lot happened back then.
Jude: That time was sure a lot of trouble…*
Tipo: If you lose yourself in nostalgia…
Elise: …In no time you'll become an old man, or so I've heard.
Jude: Wha!?
Alvin: Who told you that!?
Elise: Hehe, it's a secret.
Tipo: The past is the past, the present is the present! You must keep walking forward without hesitation.
Jude: Elise… you've become tougher, haven't you?
Alvin: Since long ago, young girls have been quick learners and quick to mature despite not saying much. You've really come a long way.**

*Not sure if he's talking about some specific event or if he's just referring to the entirety of what happened in Xillia 1. Probably the latter.
**This sounds like something a little sexist haha. Not even sure if I translated this correctly. I know I'm close at least.

ティポってなんなの? [main]
What is Tipo?
(After Completing Ch 4 and 5)

Tipo: Hrnnnnnn~~~…
Elle: Scary!
Elise: Are you interested in Tipo?
Elle: Speaking of which… what exactly is Tipo?
Tipo: Tipo is Tipo of course. Everyone's soft and cuddly friend!
Elle: Liar! There are no squishy living creatures like you who talk.
Elise: Actually, Tipo is something called a booster, which is a tool that amplifies mana output.
Jude: Thanks to Tipo, Elise is able to use spirit artes better than any adult.
Elle: …Isn't that cheating?
Elise: Cheating…!?
Elle: If Elise wants to become more mature, you'll have to go through lots of hardships.*
Elle: I understand your feelings, so I'll keep the fact that you're cheating a secret.
Elise: Ah, thank you…
Elle: Jude too. You can't tell anyone this secret.
Jude: O…ok…
Elle: Being so considerate of others… I'm so mature already!
Tipo: I'm… a cheater…

*I don't know why she said this. Because Elise's magic is so powerful others might be jealous? I guess?

みんなの服装 [main]
Everyone's Appearance
(After Completing Ch 4 and 5)

Alvin: Hmm, if you look at all of us now…
Alvin: Some things about everyone have changed since before, but in many ways you all are still the same.
Rowen: Some things have changed you say…
Rowen: Like the fact that Alvin-san has grown a beard.
Alvin: Oh, you noticed? It really suits me doesn't it?

-L1: Yeah it really suits you. (Alvin +)
-R1: It doesn't look as good as Rowen's. (Rowen +)

R1 Route:
Rowen: You don't say. With this beard there is no one who can surpass me.
Elle: Come to think of it, Alvin's beard makes him look a little unkempt.
Alvin: Oh, please say "wild" rather than "unkempt". A child would not understand the charm of my beard.
Rowen: Why did you grow a beard in the first place?
Alvin: Well there are a lot of reasons but…
Alvin: I just thought I'd try out lots of different things in my life.
Elle: Lots of things?
Alvin: You only live once, so it's rather a shame if you don't try out everything you want to do in life, right?
Rowen: Hmm… That is an surprisingly immature reason…
Elle: I thought you were trying to disguise yourself or something interesting like that.
Alvin: Oi oi, what kind of person have you imagined me to be?

ルドガーはどっち派? [main]
Ludger, Which Side Are You On?
(After repaying debt and Ch 4 and 5 are complete)

Elise: But if you look at it like this…
Elise: Everyone has changed since a year ago, but in some ways we're still the same.
Leia: Things that have changed you say… Like how Elise is going to school now. Well, is it fun?
Elise: Yes. I really like the uniform too.
Elle: Uniform… School…
Leia: Elise's uniform is really cute. But I prefer pants over skirts.
Leia: They're easier to move around in. Ludger, which do you prefer?

-L1: I think I prefer pants. (Leia +)
-R1: Skirts for sure. (Elise +)

L1 Route:
Leia: Right! Being able to move around easier is important.
Elise: But skirts are cute right?
Elle: That's true, but when you're wearing a skirt your legs are exposed and it's drafty.
Tipo: Elle is such a child. That's a good thing though.
Leia: Oh, so blunt.
Leia: I need to write that down…!
Elise: Ah, don't write that sort of thing in your articles!
Tipo: Noo, I've been caught by the paparazzi! 

Chapter 6

変わったも [etc.]

Things That Have Changed 

Jude: Maxbard sure is a nice city, isn't it?
Leia: Yeah, it's like a bridge that connects Elenpios and Liese Maxia.
Leia: I didn't think a city like this was possible a year ago.
Rowen: The future is really dependent on our choices and things can change in ways you never expected.
Leia: Speaking of changing… Jude, you sure have changed a lot, haven't you?
Jude: Huh? Me?
Leia: You certainly changed the way you fixed your hair. You've really become a fashionable person!
Rowen: You've become very handsome and attractive, Jude-san.*
Jude: A… attractive!?
Jude: No, I'm not any such thing.
Leia: You're not?
Jude: It's just that… I just like trying different things once in a while.**
Leia: Like…
Rowen: …Being more attractive.
Jude: …Yes… 

*The word Rowen says here means sexy/attractive/charming. Hahaha Rowen. I wasn't sure how far I should take that in my translation so I added "handsome" because that seems like something Rowen would say. He doesn't mean that he's attracted to him, just that Jude is growing up and is much more handsome/charming and probably attracts lots of girls and so on.
**Meaning his new hair.

ビズリー・カルシ・バク
[main]

Bisley Karcsi Bakur

Alvin: Bisley Karcsi Bakur. It seems all the rumors about him were true.

Leia: He's very intense, isn't he? Just like

-L1: The king of Elenpios.
-R1: The boss of an evil organization.

R1 Route:
Elle: Elle thinks so too! Just like the enemies of the Beach Brigade Sunscreen Rangers!*
Jude: What is that?
Elle: Um, they're bad guys who seek to rule over the market district where fish-paste is made using dead seafood.
Elle: The Sunscreen Rangers defend the beach so that they can eat the dead seafood.
Jude: For fish-paste they defend the beach?
Alvin: It's a old television program in Elenpios. Baran used to collect the toys.
Elle: Yeah. Elle even showed it to Papa.
Jude: Bisley-san is really like them.
Alvin: Well, anyhow. He's now Ludger's boss.
Alvin: He might be scary, but he's reliable.** Just think of it like that.
Leia: Right. You haven't had any reason to distrust him yet.
Jude: But, bet careful Ludger.
Jude: Bisley-san didn't lie to us, but I get the feeling he didn't tell us the whole truth either.
Ludger:

*Injoke within the Tales series. See this skit from Tales of Graces f.
*Alvin says "when you get used he's scary, but for use he's reliable" or "利用されたら怖いが、利用するには頼もしい。" I don't really get why he said "be used by". I translated the best I could. 

一途な [main]
A Faithful Woman

Elle: A great spirit that lives in the Land of Canaan.
Elle: I have to find this Khronos and ask him how to get to the Land of Canaan!
Alvin: Elle, you think of nothing else, do you?
Elle: Is that bad? Elle is an faithful woman!*
Lulu: Meow!
Elise: Is that so…

-L1: Do you know what you're saying?
-R1: Ah, well I suppose it could technically have that meaning too.

L1 Route:
Elle: Of course, it's has a good meaning. Papa used to say that Mama was like that.
Elle: He would say that Elle is just like Mama.
Alvin: Hmm, she seems caught up under the wrong impression.
Elle: Did you say something?
Alvin: No, no. I'm jealous of your papa.
Elle: Naturally!
Elise: Elle really loves her papa, don't you?
Elle: Not that much.** Papa seemed like he really loved Elle though…
Elle: …That's why I have to keep my promise no matter what.

*The phrase she uses to describe the fact that she's single-minded is generally used to describe faithfulness in the romantic sense. As in, not having extramarital affairs or cheating. She obviously doesn't know what she's saying and is just repeating a phrase she heard somewhere, as children do. Possibly, there are dirty implications to this phrase too, but I'm not sure.
**Err, I don't think she means this literally. I think she's just embarrassed about saying she really loves her father. Because obviously she does.

Chapter Index

No comments:

Post a Comment