Friday, January 18, 2013

Tales of Xillia 2 - Chapter 3 English Translation

Chapter Index | Previous Chapter | Skits
Next Chapter (If you choose Maxbard)
Next Chapter (If you choose Helioborg)

Chapter 3 - Normal Life Turned Upside Down

Jude: This is Julius-san's home?
Elle: Is this Lulu's home?

-L1: ...It's my home too. Although, I'm just a freeloader.
-R1: It's been a while since I've been home...

L1 Route:
Elle: Oh, I know! A freeloader is called a NEET, right?*
Ludger: ...

Jude: Well then, what should we do now?
Lulu: Meow!
JUde: Come to think of it, I'm kind of hungry too.
Elle: Ah! Elle hates tomatoes!

-L1: Don't be picky. They're delicious.
-R1: Ok. I won't put in tomatoes then. (Elle +)

R1 Route:
Elle: Geez, I don't understand why Papa and other adults like tomatoes so much.

*NEET is a government acronym that means someone who is currently "not in education, employment, or training." The term started in the UK, but spread to Japan.

==========================

Elle: It looks so good!
Jude: Thanks for the food.
Elle: Mmmmm~~!
Jude: Wow, Ludger, you're a pro at cooking, this is amazing!
Elle: It's as good as Papa's cooking!
Jude: Elle, where is your father at right now?
Elle: I don't know...
Elle: Scary people came to our house, but only I got away...
Ludger: ...
Elle: That's why I have to get to the Land of Canaan! So that I can make a wish to save Papa!
Bisley: Sorry to intrude, Ludger-kun.
Jude: Bisley-san! I'm glad to see you're safe.
Bisley: I, at least, am safe.
Ludger: Gah!
Jude: You!?
???: No time to be surprised!
???: Or... maybe you do have time...
Jude: Ivar...
Bisley: Hahaha! How amusing, Ivar-kun.
Bisley: I value such enthusiasm. I think I'll hire you as a regular agent.
Ivar: Ah... Thank you very much.
Jude: What is the meaning of this?
Bisley: Seems like you don't know the situation.
Reporter: Proceeding to the next piece of news, the amount damage from the train terrorism attack connected with the Askord Natural Factory has finally been ascertained.
Reporter: The explosion from the train crash caused Askord to burst into flames and completely burn down.
Reporter: The casualties have risen above 2,000 people, including passengers of the train and employees of the factory.
Reporter: The damage has currently exceeded 10 billion gald, but it is likely to reach the 50 billion gald range.
Reporter: The authorities believe the mastermind behind the terrorist attack is an employee of the Clanspia Company.
Reporter: That employee, Julius Will Kresnik, is currently wanted by the authorities and wanted posters have been put up throughout the country.
Ludger: ...Ah!
Jude: That's a lie! Julius-san is...
Bisley: Are you saying the guy that attacked me with a sword on the train is innocent?
Secretary: The police are currently searching for accomplices in any area with connections to the terrorists.
Bisley: And of course, you are the most important potential suspect.
Elle: Elle and Ludger have nothing to do with this!
Bisley: You're the prime suspect's younger brother, and you just happened to start working at the station that day, you just happened to board that train, and you just happened to disappear with the prime suspect.
Bisley: Am I supposed to believe this all to be coincidence?
Ludger: Grr...
Elle: Believe us!
Bisley: If it's true, then show me some proof.
Bisley: If you capture Julius, then surely the truth will come out.
Ludger: !?
Elle: But, that old guy with glasses...
Bisley: He's still alive.
Secretary: A few hours ago, the president was contacted by the suspect on his GHS.
Ludger: !
Bisley: He is my company's top agent. The police won't be able to catch him.
Bisley: But against family, there may be a chance.
Bisley: Well? If you agree to do it, I'll use my influence to keep the police out of your way.
Ludger: ...

-L1: Alright. I'll catch Julius. (Bisley +)
-R1: Hang on a minute...

L1 Route:
Bisley: No hesitation. A wise choice.
Jude: Ludger...
Ludger: ...
Bisley: You are now under the protection of the Clanspia Company.
Secretary: At present, we've gathered two important pieces of intelligence.
Secretary: The ex-division manager* apparently has connections to a researcher by the name of Baran who works at Helioborg.
Secretary: The second piece of information is from Maxbard. We have received intelligence that there is a person there searching for Julius.
Jude: Baran-san...
Elle: You said too many things, I don't understand!**
Jude: So we should try going to Helioborg and Maxbard?
Elle: Then, we'll need more money again, won't we...?
Bisley: Asking for compensation without any results... Is that how Julius raised you?
Ludger: !
Bisley: So you know Dr. Mathis.
Ivar: ...More importantly, what are you going through all this trouble for?
Bisley: I've seen his abilities, now I want to ascertain his true strength.

*She means Julius.
**Not sure if I translated this correctly. She's either implying the secretary said too many big words/too much information for her to grasp/remember, or she doesn't understand why they're searching for Julius in the first place... or something. I think it's the former.

==========================

???: Sob sob... what should I do...*
Elle: Ludger, that girl is crying!
Kokone: Ah, please excuse me. My name is Kokone Nekoko.**
Kokone: I moved here to this apartment with my 100 cats. I am a young girl who loves cats!
Kokone: Although in 50 years I'll be an old crazy cat lady.
Elle: 100 cats!
Kokone: But, in the confusion of moving, all my cats ran away!
Kokone: My cats and my bamboo ladle are both gone! Ahh, it's been so difficult, I want to take care of my kitties...***
Jude: P...please cheer up...
Kokone: You live in this apartment too don't you? As your neighborhood cat... I mean as your neighbor, I beg of you.****
Kokone: Won't you please search for my cats? I can use all the help I can get.*****
Elle: If we look for you cats, then Lulu will have lots of friends, right?
Kokone: Yes yes, cats make quite good friends you know.
Kokone: Anyways, it will be very useful to have you all out there searching!******
Kokone: Well then, my apartment is on the first floor of this apartment building.
Kokone: When you cat a catch... I mean catch a cat please stop by my apartment.
Jude: That girl REALLY loves cats, doesn't she...*******
Ludger: Yeah...

*Play-on words here. She uses 'nyan'/'meow' instead of 'nan'/'what'.
**'Neko' is 'cat' in Japanese.
***I don't know exactly what she said here. She says she lost her bamboo ladle on top of her cats, and then she says it's been a shock and something about her cats... I think she just misses them or wants to take care of them? ^_^; I tried.
****I think she accidentally calls herself a cat here since her name is so similar.
*****Another injoke here. In the second sentence she says, "neko no te mo karitai" which literally means, to borrow a cat's hand, but is actually a saying that means "to be so busy and short-handed that you would even be grateful for a cat's help". The joke here being that we literally are talking about cats.
******She says another sentence that I did not include because I have absolutely no idea how to translate it so that it makes sense within the context of the conversation. It's another injoke. She says "watashi ni ha neko ni koban na hodo" which means something like "In my opinion, it's like putting pearls before swine," which makes sense on its own, but not within this conversation. The injoke here is another cat reference. In Japanese it's literally "a gold coin before a cat" rather than "pearls before swine". If anyone knows what she's saying here please let me know.
*******Jude says "nekonadegoe" does anyone know what this means? My best guess is something like "someone who talks a lot about cats", but I don't really know what the "nade" means.

This scene was so hard to translate, I'm sorry for all the notes D: Too many injokes!

==========================

ノヴァからのコール2 [main]
Call from Nova 2

Nova: Well, well, it looks like your movement restrictions can be lowered again.
Nova: You can either get access to Maxbard or Helioborg right now, which place would you like to get to next?

-L1: Maxbard please.
-R1: Remove my restriction on Helioborg please.

(This choice affects which place you go to next).

L1 Route:
Nova: Understood! That's the city where negotiations with Liese Maxia are currently taking place.
Nova: I haven't been able to go there yet! Next time, tell me all about the city!
Nova: Just a little more and you'll be able to remove another restriction. Talk to you later!

If you chose Maxbard, proceed to Chapter 4. If you chose Helioborg, proceed to Chapter 5. Some of the dialogue is different if you choose Helioborg, but I chose Maxbard so the translations are based on that choice. Also, there's a bonus scene in Chapter 4 if you complete Chapter 5 and Jude Episode 1 first. I haven't seen that scene since I chose Chapter 4 first.

Chapter Index | Previous Chapter | Skits
Next Chapter (If you choose Maxbard)
Next Chapter (If you choose Helioborg)

No comments:

Post a Comment