Monday, January 21, 2013

Tales of Xillia 2 - Skits Other English Translation


All skits that occur during character episodes or are activated by something other than main story progression (affection, for example).

レイアのメール [char]
Leia's Texts
(During Leia Episode 1)

Alvin: Hey, Leia. About the texts you write…
Leia: Hm? What's up? Why are you being so formal?
Ludger: …?
Alvin: There are too many symbols and smiley faces! I can barely read them.
Alvin: And to make matters worse, this weird looking frog thing. How does that look like me?
Leia: Eh! Smiley faces and symbols are cute though!
Leia: Frogs just have this pitiful little look about them, and it really calls you to mind Alvin.
Ludger: …

-L1: I sympathize, Alvin. (Alvin +)
-R1: Smiley faces are necessary, aren't they Leia? (Leia +)

R1 Route:
Alvin: Seriously?
Leia: I know right! I knew you'd agree with me Ludger!
Leia: Smiley faces are so useful when you can't communicate things like emotions in words.
Alvin: …Hmm. Like what?
Leia: Umm…
Leia: Like being downhearted.
Leia: Like when you're really excited.
Alvin: …You can communicate that in words. Are you or are you not a journalist?
Leia: It…it's fine isn't it? They're cute after all.
Leia: It looks way more fun with smiley faces, and they make the recipient happy.
Alvin: Normally, yes.
Alvin: But in your case, you use pretty much only smiley faces and symbols, to the point that it becomes more like a code…
Alvin: Put yourself in the shoes of the person who has to decipher it.
Leia: …Ohh… Alright, I'll be more considerate…

レイアとアグリア[char]
Leia and Agria
(During Leia Episode 2)

Alvin: That was so surprising.
Alvin: What's up with Agria and Leia doing research for an article together?
Leia: Even if you ask me, it's not like I know.
Leia: Perhaps, in this world we're working at the same company… or something?
Alvin: So that Agria is a reporter, huh?
Alvin: Anyhow, there's no question that this Agria is nicer than the Agria we knew, is there?*

-L1: Did something happen in the past?
-R1: What kind of person is Agria?

L1 Route:
Leia: Yeah… In the past, she was Gaius's subordinate. We fought against each many times.
Alvin: Despite what you might think, she's actually a lady from a very prominent and respectable family.
Leia: You don't have to say it like that. Anyway, I don't think you're one to talk**
Alvin: Ok ok. You're so strict.
Alvin: Although, why are you defending her after she called you names and such?
Leia: That's just the way Agria is… And because a lot happened in the past.
Leia: That's why it was so sad that she was so full of hatred even at the end…***

R1 Route:
Leia: You could say she's a little different here. Or you could say she doesn't usually like to work with others.
Alvin: That way you phrased that was quite amusing.

Leia: Sigh. Anyway, this all happened so suddenly I'm not sure how to react to her.
Alvin: Even if you say that, I'm not sure what to do.****
Leia: Hey, what was that? Don't mimic me.

-L1: It sounded just like you.
-R1: That's right, Alvin.

L1 Route:
Ludger: …
Leia: Eh, Ludger's teasing me now too!?
Leia: It didn't sound anything like me!

R1 Route:
Alvin: Ah, scary.

Alvin: Anyway, you're in a better mood now right? You were taking things too seriously, I couldn't help it.*****
Leia: Ah… Don't tell me just now, that was purposely to…
Ludger: …
Alvin: I'm such cool guy, always so concerned about others. You just can't help but be charmed by me, right?
Leia: What!?

*Relatively nicer. He's obviously being sarcastic.
**Umm, this second sentence was a little confusing. She says "I don't want to be told that by/hear that from Alvin." I think she means the fact that he was a little rough around the edges in ToX1 too, despite also being from a prominent family of Elenpios.
***There's no subject in this sentence in Japanese. I'm pretty sure Leia means Agria being full of hatred for everything.
****Alvin is mimicking Leia.
*****Err, this line was confusing too. What I wrote is the general idea anyway.

ローエンとマルシア [char]
Rowen and Marcia
(During Rowen Episode 1)

Elise: Rowen, you were being very profound earlier.
Tipo: " My favorite book is Bradberry's The Intelligence of Happiness."
Rowen: Hohoho.
Rowen: In the case of us old men, our hidden meanings are a piece of cake to figure out.*

-L1: As expected of Rowen. (Rowen +)
-R1: What did you mean?

L1 Route:
Rowen: There are hidden meanings like that, but if you praise me too much, I start to get itchy.**
Tipo: Old men are amazing! Very mysterious.
Elise: How cool. I may fall in love.
Rowen: Ha, now you're praising me too much, I can't stop itching…!?***
Elise: Hehe, Rowen, you're so funny.
Tipo: I love that about you too.
Rowen: Everyone, don't you feel bad teasing an innocent old man like this?

*This line is confusing. I think I got the gist of it. Rowen is always hard to understand.
**Another vague and confusing line, sorry if it doesn't sound right. The word he used means itchy/eager/tickling sensation/creepy feeling. I don't see how any of that fits. I hate you Rowen and your vague lines.
***Ok, wow does that sound weird... I'm sorry, but that's what he said. I hate this skit, it's so confusing and weird :(

エルと分史ミラ [char]
Elle and Alternate Milla
(Activates during Milla Episode 2)

Elle: Hey, hey, Elle knows of a high-quality ingredient too!
Elle: You can use rose petals to make "rose petal jam!" It's super sweet and smells really good.
Milla: ...That's not really a high-quality ingredient though.
Milla: The price of roses is relatively low after all...
Elle: They are so high-quality! Because I made the jam with the roses Papa grew just for Elle.
Elle: He told me it was the world's greatest and most high-quality jam.
Milla: That's just your father being a doting parent…
Elle: You've never tried it, so how would you know.
Elle: If you just decide things so quickly and get set in your ways, you'll never expand your horizons!
Milla: Wha…!?*
Elle: Elle knows way waay more stuff than Milla.
Milla: Hmph… You sure have a lot of guts to get into a competition with Maxwell.
Milla: I know way waay waaay more stuff than Elle!
Elle: I know more, I know more.
Elle: Way waay waaay waaaay more.
Milla: What, is that all you can do?
Milla: Waywaywaywayway…!!
Lulu: Meow~…

*She's surprised about what she says, but also because Elle used a big phrase Milla didn't expect her to know ("expand your horizons"), which is Elle imitating something she's heard. Elle does this a lot.

アルヴィンの商売は? [char]
Alvin's Business?
(Activates during Alvin Episode 2)

Leia: To think that Alvin is a businessman now.
Leia: It's a completely turnaround from when you used to be a free mercenary.
Alvin: It's just as much of a turnaround as switching from being a nurse-in-training to a journalist-in-training.
Leia: Let's get right to the heart of the matter!
Leia: In regards to your business, tell me something interesting about your work?
Alvin: Did you just ignore what I said?
Alvin: To put it simply, we are able to procure a large quantity of lower cost goods.
Alvin: There aren't a lot of customs taxes on those goods at the moment.

-L1: Taxes?
-R1: Are you yielding a profit? (Alvin +)

R1 Route:
Alvin: Does is seem like that to you?
Leia: Well, that scarf of yours is a brand name product, right?
Alvin: Not just the scarf, the shirt too.
Alvin: Nice clothes are an important tool in doing business.
Leia: A business tool, huh? I don't really understand what you mean.*
Alvin: I wonder if it would be advantageous to tell you?
Alvin: In Elenpios, clothes are one factor used to assess how rich someone is.**
Leia: What!? Really?
Leia: I need to start researching this or else…!?
Ludger: …
Alvin: Hehehe. The art of skillful and clever conversation is another business tool.

*He said "business tool" in English actually, so that may be why she doesn't understand him.
**He said something like this. It was literally something like, "In Elenpios, clothes are included in the assessment of one's salary." I'm not sure why Leia is surprised? And why does she want to research this? I dunno. Maybe because Liese Maxia is still kind of not very advanced, so things like brand name clothes don't really exist?

市井に出る目的 [char] 
The Reason for Going Undercover
(Activates during Gaius Episode 1)

Musee: Gaius sure is lucky that he can just go do whatever he likes.
Gaius: Whatever I like?
Musee: Yes. For a king of humans, you seem to have an unexpected amount of free time, after all.
Gaius: ...You actually think I traveled away from my country just for some carefree field trip?
Musee: Oh, is that wrong?
Gaius: ...Don't tell me you actually thought that...
Gaius: Ludger, did you think the same thing as Musee?

-L1: Sorry, I did.
-R1: You're really on some undercover mission, right?

R1 Route:
Gaius: Heh... It's not quite as intense as you make it sound, but that is basically it.
Musee: So, even though you're wandering around leisurely with us right now, you do have some sort of purpose, right?
Gaius: ...Yes.
Gaius: To see with my own eyes what cannot be seen sitting upon a throne, the true state of a town and its people, that is the reason I am traveling in secret.
Musee: Ohh, is it working then?
Gaius: Of course. For coming into contact with and learning about people, attending events that draw crowds, such as street fairs and festivals, has been especially useful.
Gaius: I've spent a lot of time at public bathhouses and bars as well, which are great for hearing the lastest news and gossip.
Gaius: Incidentally, I've also been able to put a stop to 4 different bad organizations who were taking advantage of poor people.
Musee: But a great deal of that sounds just like a carefree field trip, doesn't it...!?
Gaius: ...Did you say something?
Musee: No, no. I was just thinking how nice it is that even though you're so busy, you take time to play with the children of Elenpios.
Gaius: Those young men can potentially have a great deal of influence on the current age and the future.
Gaius: I want to watch them and see how they do. The current Elenpios is...
Musee: I bet you just want some friends too though, right?
Gaius: ...Anyway.
Musee: You never change Gaius. Although...
Musee: You're sure a lot more fun than you were in the past~

ジュード・スキル取得1 [char]
Jude - Skill Acquisition 1
(Jude affection = 1 heart)

Jude: Ludger, I feel like we're really starting to work well together, don't you agree?   
Jude: This is a token of my appreciation… I hope you'll like it and make use of it. I hope we can continue getting along.

ジュード・スキル取得2 [char]
Jude - Skill Acquisition 2
(Jude affection = 2 hearts)  

Jude: Ludger, I feel I've really gotten to know you pretty well. I think we've really opened up to each other, don't you agree?*
Jude: Here, this is a present for you since you've been working so hard. Let's continue to work hard together.

*More literally, he said something like, "your facial expressions show what you are thinking," in this case meaning, "we've gotten to know each other better so you are not hiding your emotions/thoughts around me anymore because you feel more at ease with me now."

ミラ・スキル取得1 [char]
Milla - Skill Acquisition 1
(Milla affection = 1 heart)

Milla: Umm… I didn't think I could count on you, but it turns out you are pretty reliable.
Milla: …I'd like to give you this. It's something I've been hanging on to, but it's just weighing me down so…

レイア・スキル取得1 [char]
Leia - Skill Acquisition 1
(Leia affection = 1 heart)

Leia: Ludger, good work! As always, you worked your hardest today.
Leia: Um, I'm always a supporter of hard workers! So if it pleases you, you can use this.   

レイア・スキル取得2 [char]
Leia - Skill Acquisition 2
(Leia affection = 3 hearts)

Leia: Ludger, it's reassuring to have you fighting by my side. I guess I haven't given you much in return for your support.*
Leia: So, here! This is a thank you present for you supporting me everyday… Anyway, please take it!
Leia: That why, I…
Leia: I'm so reassured it makes me fall asleep! Ohh, I'll have to pull an all-nighter to finish this manuscript in time…

*She said something to this effect, that second sentence was a little a little confusing.                  

レイア・スキル取得3 [char]
Leia - Skill Acquisition 3
(Leia affection = 5 hearts)

Leia: Ludger~
Leia: Tada! This is for  you!
Leia: It's a surprise present. Hehe, were you surprised?
Leia: A lot has happened, but I think the reason I can smile like this right now is probably because of Ludger.
Leia: …Ahh, that was a little too much… maybe? A…anyway, thanks for everything!

エリーゼ・スキル取得1 
Elise - Skill Acquisition 1
(Elise affection = 1 heart)  

Elise: Ludger, I have a favor to ask.
Elise: Will you tell me about yourself and Elenpios?
Tipo: Elise is interested in learning more about you, you see. Of course, we'll give you something in return.
Elise: If you ever have free time… please tell me some stories, ok?
Tipo: Please take this and treasure it!

アルヴィン・スキル取得1 
Alvin - Skill Acquisition 1
(Alvin affection = 1 heart)  

Alvin: You've been working hard lately. That's pretty impressive since you're still so young.
Alvin: So, I'll give you a little present from your elder. As a mark of our growing friendship. You'll treasure it right?

アルヴィン・スキル取得2 [char]
Alvin - Skill Acquisition 2
(Alvin affection = 3 hearts)

Alvin: I never tire of observing you, Ludger. Or rather I should say it's never boring. Hehehe.*
Alvin: Ah, right. I wanted to give you this. I'm sure you'll be able to make use of it.
Alvin: You don't need to worry about repaying me, just take it. I decided a while back to treat my friends kindly.

*I don't think this is supposed to be creepy? Maybe? o_O I dunno.

ローエン・スキル取得1 [char]
Rowen - Skill Acquisition 1
(Rowen affection = 1 heart)  

Rowen: Ludger-san, you're got quite a striking countenance.
Rowen: This is a good chance for me to give you this. It will guarantee that you become an even more handsome man, don't you think?*

*Maybe this sounded less creepy in Japanese, but it's a really weird conversation in my opinion haha.

ガイアス・スキル取得1 [char]
Gaius - Skill Acquisition 1
(Gaius affection = 1 heart)  

Gaius: Ludger, I have something I'd like to give you.
Gaius: It's not much, but I think it will be useful for something. Take it.


6 comments:

  1. Can you translate the R1 route for Leia and Agria
    (During Leia Episode 2) skit please?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFHSj_JeNyI&list=PLOzRBsDgSbxwPOisA3Nw5uczOUOS6BwrI&index=29

    at 8:48 of that video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you translated the skit where Elise and Tipo sing again? I haven't been able to find it and would love a translation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to stop translating the affection skits. They're really quite pointless and annoying. Sorry D:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rowen and Marcia (Rowen Episode) Character Skit.
    While you are not wrong about the weird feeling and the vague line from this skit, I believe Rowen emphasising the "itchy sensation" as to be his way of being modest (embarrassingly). Of course, your translation is not wrong, more like, the people that did this skit for Rowen might have misunderstood something, because the way Rowen is saying is basically he is beginning or having some sort of affectionate relationship with Elise (which cause weirdness and maybe awkward). In my opinion, I believe the skit is meant to say that Rowen is happy to be able to be praised so much since he wasn't really wise, or should I say made many good choices in TOX1 (His past life, which may implies that Rowen has never receive so many praises).

    ReplyDelete