Friday, January 18, 2013

Tales of Xillia 2 - Chapter 5 English Translation

Chapter Index | Skits
Previous Chapter | Next Chapter (If you chose Maxbard in Ch3)
Previous Chapter | Next Chapter (If you chose Helioborg in Ch3)  

Chapter 5 - Out of Control "Origin"

Researcher: Only authorized personnel allowed!
Jude: Has something happened?
Researcher: Oh, Jude-san. Well...
Alvin: It's not good. The security system is completely under their control.
Alvin: There's nothing I can do by myself...
Jude: Alvin!
Alvin: Ho, good timing as usual.
Alvin: Rowen and Leia are with you too I see.
Jude: Ark Noah took control of the security system?
Researcher: On top of that, there are people from Liese Maxia that came to inspect our facility still inside.
Alvin: Baran, who was showing them around, is still with them as well.
Elle: Baran! We have to help him!
Alvin: You'll help?
Jude: We have business with Baran-san.
Alvin: Ludger, is it? This is another one of Ark Noah's terrorist attacks.
Alvin: I used to be a member of Ark Noah. Will you still trust me?

-L1: I will trust you. (Alvin +)
-R1: I'm sorry, I can't trust you.

L1 Route:
Alvin: I see. I get the feeling you must be one of Jude's friends.
Ludger: ...
Elle: Alvin is not Jude's friend?
Alvin: Hm... I wonder?
Jude: Heh, he's a friend.
Elle: He seems like someone who can't be trusted...
Alvin: You can't deceive the eyes of a child.
Jude: Let's go over the situation.
Jude: Where are Baran-san and the inspectors trapped inside?
Researcher: Near the roof of the development building.
Rowen: Where is the security system control room?
Researcher: It's located on the highest floor of the research building.
Rowen: Then, we should split into two parties.
Rowen: Leia-san and I will take care of the control room.
Leia: We'll leave Baran-san and the others to you.
Alvin: The weather is getting worse. We should hurry up and finish this.

==========================

Alvin: They just keep shooting and shooting with those damn guns... I wish we had another projectile weapon too.
Ivar: Heh, looks like I just happened to come at a good time then.
Elle: It's that guy again!
Ivar: Well hello to you too.* And after I came all this way just to bring you a new weapon.
Ivar: Ah! Dangerous...!
All: ...
Ivar: As you saw, these are dangerous weapons. Be sure to be careful when using them.
Elle: You ought to be careful too...
Ivar: Now, prepare yourself! I'll teach you how to use them.

(battle)

Ivar: Y...you really went all out without mercy...
Ivar: If I were anyone else, I'd kill you right now.
Jude: Are you alright, Ivar?
Ivar: Hmph... I'm doing way better than a certain someone else I know who is so
considerate of others.**
Jude: ...
Alvin: Miko-dono hasn't changed a bit.*** 

*Ivar is being sarcastic sort of, since Elle was kind of rude and no one said hi or was happy to see him. Haha.
**Kind of a strange line, I think I got it at least close. In reponse to Jude asking if he's alright (cause he's obviously not), Ivar sarcastically states that he's doing better than a certain someone else (Ludger) who is very considerate of others (sarcastically implying that Ludger is not considerate of others because he fought too well). Oh Ivar lol.
***'Miko' is like a sort of priest's helper (In Shintoism, not Christianity) in Japanese. In this universe it just means he was Milla's assistant. 'Dono' is just an honorific like 'san', except it's more formal. 

==========================

Elle: Something's coming!
Ludger: !
Elise: Hmph... is it gone?
Jude: Elise!
Elise: Jude!
Tipo: Alvin's here too!
Alvin: Don't tell me, the good-will ambassador from Liese Maxia is you?
Elise: Yes. My school was chosen you see.
Ludger: ?
Jude: This is Elise and Tipo.

-L1: You're a cute little kid. (Elise +)
-R1: Was that spirit artes just now?

L1 Route:
Elise: Oh no, not at all...
Elle: Ludger, you're getting even with me aren't you...?*
Elise: Are you friends of Jude?
Tipo: Hello!
Elle: ...You're weird!
Elise: His name is Tipo. I sure you'll get along, right?
Tipo: Right~?
Elle: ...You really are weird after all!
Elise: ...
Alvin: Elise, aren't your classmates with you?
Tipo: We were attacked suddenly.
Elise: Having Tipo with me really helped.
Tipo: Elise had everyone take shelter in a safe room.
Elle: Is a person named Baran there too?
Elise: Baran-san acted as a decoy so we could escape...
Tipo: We last saw him going up to the top of the development building.
Elise: That's why we came to find help.
Jude: Can you show us the way?
Elise: Of course.
Elle: !
Elise: Are you afraid of thunder?
Elle: N...no!
Elle: Ahhhhhhh!
Alvin: What was that just now...?
Ludger: ...
Elise: Everything's going to be alright. Umm...
Elle: That's a lie!
Elle: Stupid thunder, it's just a little electricity.
Elise: ...Umm, it's not that way actually.
Elle: I know that! 

*Not phrased as a question in the game. Elle calls Ludger a "type of person that gets even", as in getting back at someone for something they did. I think Elle is referring to the time in Chapter 1 when she got on that train by calling him a child molester lol. Although I don't quite see the connection here. She's jealous that he said Elise is cute? That'd be weird, but... yeah I'm not sure. 

==========================

Volt: Jiji... Gaga...
Ludger: !?
Elle: Another weird thing!
Elise: "Origin" Volt!*
Tipo: He's the one that can shock you!
Alvin: They created him again!?
Jude: ...Even though he can't be controlled!
Volt: Bibi! Bi!
Elle: Kyaa!
Lulu: Mrow!
Elle: Lulu!
Ludger: Uwaa!

(boss battle)

 
Volt: Jiji... Error...
Volt: Corruption... Souls... Progresses...
Volt: Control... Impossible!
Ludger: Uwaaa!
Jude: This is...!?
Elle: Lulu, hang in there!
Tipo: Don't worry, leave it to us!
Elle: Lulu!
Elise: She should be fine now.
Elle: ...Elle hates thunder.
Elise: Eh?
Elle: Whenever there's thunder, scary things happen.
Elise: It's a secret, but I also hate thunder.
Tipo: Cause being shocked is no fun.
Elle: ...oh.
Jude: But, when was there time for someone to prepare and create "origin" Volt?
Alvin: Baran should know. Let's return to the roof.

*Volt is an artificially made "origin" spirit

==========================
 
Jude: There's no one here…
Alvin: Come out, Baran.
Baran: You sure know me well, Alfred*
Alvin: Ever since we were kids, you were always good at finding hiding places.

Baran: We didn't create "origin" Volt again. We never  even had any intention of doing that.  

Baran: We're still having trouble controlling "origin" itself, so creating a great spirit class "origin" is out of the question.
Jude: …
Elle: But, we got shocked, didn't we?
Alvin: What was that then…

-L1: "Origin" sure are dangerous.
-R1: Putting that aside for a moment, can you tell me what you know about Julius?

R1 Route:
Baran: Julius…? Are you a cop or something?
Jude: Ludger is Julius-san's younger brother.
Baran: Heh, I didn't know he had a younger brother.
Baran: Although, come to think of it, his personality is very much like a older sibling.
Elle: Then can you tell us any information you have about him?
Baran: Like the fact that he really loves tomatoes?
Alvin: Baran.
Baran: Sorry.
Baran: I actually haven't seen him for about 6 months. I was surprised to hear about that train terrorism on the news.
Jude: Do you happen to know anything about his current whereabouts?

Elle: Like maybe the Land of Canaan?

Baran: Canaan… Hmm I do remember him saying something like that. I don't remember exactly what he said though.

???: The Land of Canaan is a holy place that purifies and watches over the flow of souls.
Jude: Musee!
Musee: Hello Jude.
Elle: What is that!?
Elise: It's the spirit Musee.
Tipo: She's Milla's older sister!
Elle: ?
Jude: Why are you in the human world?
Musee: Milla's disappeared.
Jude: Disappeared…?
Musee: She was saying something about there being a problem with the purification of souls.
Musee: Since  I used my power to help her leave the spirit world, I haven't been able to get in touch with her...**
Jude: Milla is in the human world?
Musee: I believe so… but you haven't seen her have you?
Jude: …
Musee: I see… I thought that if she got here safely, she would be with you…
Musee: I have to look for her.
Leia: That was Musee just now, wasn't it? Has something happened?
Rowen: Oh, Elise-san is here too.
Elise: Everyone's together again.
Alvin: We're missing one though…
Jude: Milla… is lost.
Ludger: …
Vel: This is Vel from the Clanspia Company. We've received further intel about ex-Division Manager Julius.***
Vel: It's from Ilart Port.
Ludger: ?
Elise: It's a harbor town in Liese Maxia.
Vel: Another group of agents searching for him are already on their way there. I suggest you hurry.
Elle: We have to repay more of our debt now, don't we?
Ludger: Sigh…
Elise: Please take me with you..
Alvin: That would surely be difficult, wouldn't it? Hadn't you better go back to school?
Tipo: But for Musee to have come to the human world, that seems like a bad omen, doesn't it?
Elise: I want to help in whatever way I can.
Alvin: …I want to help too. For as long as I can take a break from work…
Elle: Our group has so many people now!

*Alvin's real name.
**Musee has power over space-time and can therefore create passages between dimensions.
***Vel is the name of Bisley's secretary. This is the first time they've told us her name actually.

==========================

ノヴァからのコール4 [main]

Call from Nova 4 

Nova: I've got some good news! You can now travel to Ilart Port!
Nova: If you pay off more of your debt, you'll be able to travel to other ports little by little. As a man, you should aim for the sea!*
Elle: She has no idea how we must be feeling. She's too carefree.
Nova: …Hmm, maybe I said it wrong? Women should aim for the sea!
Elle: Come to think of it, Elle has never ridden on a boat.
Nova: Oh, really? You have to do it at least once!
Nova: The sea is great! It's big, huge, and enormous…
Elle: Ludger, let's head to the sea!
Ludger: Yeah… 

*I don't know what that last part is supposed to mean, but that's what she said. Nova's just weird like that.

========================== 

Man: Hey you people there, wait just a moment! Don't you want to know about synthesis?
Man: I know you want to know! No, you must know!
Man: If you just try it out, you'll understand! I'll give you some materials, so try it!
Elle: He makes it sound so important!

==========================

Jou: Ah! You're all safe!?
Elle: Ah! That informant…
Jou: Jou, remember? I'm sorry about that situation in Duvohl.
Jou: As an apology, please take this.
Jude: What is this? 
Jou: Wing Boots. It's a present that will make you really light on your feet!* 
Leia: …I don't understand your meaning.
Jou: Haha, when you do understand it, you'll be a full-fledged journalist. **
Jou: Oh right, the Clanspia Company agents are at the inn. See you!
Leia: Just like her to know everything that's going on.
Jude: …
Ludger: …

*Had to leave out a nuance here that would not translate correctly as she sort of makes a pun. She literally says the boots are "a present from a person with a light tongue to make your body feel lighter." And boy does THAT sound dirty ha. Light tongue here means "loose tongue" or "talkative" in English. And the "body feeling lighter" phrase means it makes you more "agile" and allows you to move faster (as this is the item that lets your character run faster in game). The joke here was that she used the word "light" twice, but yeah… it gets lost in translation.
**Wait, what? Understand what? Maybe there really was a double meaning in her previous statement. Haha I'm really sorry, but I don't understand this part of the conversation!

Previous Chapter | Next Chapter (If you chose Maxbard in Ch3)
Previous Chapter | Next Chapter (If you chose Helioborg in Ch3)

No comments:

Post a Comment