Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Messing with drunk people never gets old

Yesterday after class we had our weekly Japanese conversation group meeting. It's supposed to be a group for Japanese students and international students to meet and talk together, but it's really just an overwhelming amount of foreigners with a few Japanese mixed in. Which is still fine I guess, cause we still get to practice Japanese, but I still wish we could meet more Japanese students. I talked to a girl from Vietnam the whole time, for an hour or so. Afterwards the group goes out to dinner for those who want to come. We ended up with 19 foreigners and 5 Japanese. A very uneven ratio. I think the workers were a little scared when the Japanese guy in charge went in to ask if they had room for us all. I know I would be crying a little if I had to serve a party of 24. The restaurant was an okonomiyaki restaurant. Okonomiyaki is like a fried pancake thing that you can fill with a variety of different things, depending on what you want. For instance, meat, noodles, vegetables, seafood, and so on. It's delicious.

At dinner we split into 4 tables, with at least one Japanese student per table. I was with two of the Americans, two girls from Taiwan, and one of the Japanese boys. Like most Japanese boys, he was a little shy I think, and the poor thing had to sit with 5 girls :) He must've been a little nervous cause he bought a beer eventually, and again like most Japanese boys, he got drunk after only one beer. It made for quite a hilarious and entertaining dinner. He was trying really hard to act not drunk when we took pictures, so I started taking pictures everytime he took a sip of beer. To which he would respond by saying "no!" and trying to turn away. We were all teasing him during the latter part of the dinner. Teasing drunk people is so much fun. When it came time to split the bill he split is so he was paying for his meal and about half of each of our meals. I think it's custom here for the men to pay a larger portion of the bill when bill splitting occurs. When we tried to protest he started using male speech and said it was fine. I suppose male speech in Japanese is comparable to the way boys talk to each other in English, but it's a little different here. Women always speak normally, but when Japanese men talk to each other casually they use a few different and very blunt words and slur words together to the point that I can barely understand what they're saying. Needless to say, boys never use this type of speech when talking to girls. Thus, it was quite funny to hear.

2 comments:

  1. Cool story. Cool pics. I love your blog ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I haven't posted. I was going to post on your latest blog... but am still waiting. ;) Sounds like you're finally getting to know some Japanese people!
    Hope you get to see "The Office" tonight/tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete