Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Assigned seats need to stop

Another dry routine day. I had speaking and grammar class today. They both went ok. In speaking we got assigned seats today, and assigned partners for an in class activity. It sucked. We were supposed to come up with a conversation with our partner given a certain set-up situation, but my partner was very confused and didn't speak English, so I was trying to explain to him what we were doing in Japanese, but he didn't seem to get it. I tried to convey the urgency that we really needed to make a conversation before time was up, but he just didn't understand. Ugh. I hate assigned partners.

When time was up we got in a group of 4 with the pair in front of us and they said their conversation for us and then we were supposed to say ours for them. But of course we didn't have one, but the kid finally got what we were doing from hearing the other pair, so we started making up a conversation on the spot. I'm sure the other pair must've figured it out. Unfortunately the teacher decided to visit our group at that time and listened to me and my useless partner make up a conversation on the spot. He said something completely wrong though, and my part was just fine, so hopefully she didn't think I didn't know what was going on. Ugggh. She asked me a question after we finished too, that it took me a minute to understand. I hope she doesn't think I'm an idiot, talking to the teacher just makes me nervous.

Then as a group we had to decide on one conversation and write it on this poster on the wall. All the groups were doing it too. The other students in my group were Chinese so they picked me to write cause my handwriting is more uhh... less messy I guess? Cause I just learned how to write I write very precisely, while they're handwriting is more naturally sloppy because they've been writing that way for their whole lives and they can write way faster than me. Kind of like how you write really carefully when you first learn the alphabet. It's kind of a funny situation when you think about it; that I can write neater. Unfortunately I was feeling a bit pressured and I kept making stupid mistakes in my writing. I hope they didn't think I was an idiot too. I really can write just fine, I was just nervous I suppose, and flustered. The Chinese kid helped me write some of the kanji I didn't know, but everytime I hesitated on kanji, even when I did know it and just couldn't think because of nerves, or I needed more time to think of it, he thought I just didn't know the kanji and would write it for me. Ugggh again. I swear I'm not a moron. I just crack under pressure.

Grammar class was uneventful, so I shall not recount it.

I came home and took a nice long nap when I got home around 3:30. Woke up at 5 and studied and showered and went to eat dinner in the cafeteria. Fun times.... yeah, nothing exciting happened in the evening today. Class at noon tomorrow as usual.

2 comments:

  1. How about getting on Gmail sometime and visiting your old friend, Jill? ;) I want to tell you about the wedding on "Office" thursday night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that feeling that people think you don't understand something, when really, you just need a sec. It's annoying. The same thing with partners happened to me in Japanese today too though! I was with Milby-san and we all got these articles off of asahi-shinbun that she passed out. We were trying to figure out what it was about. Then, terada-sensei explained that one person should ask what the article was about, and the other should respond using a new pattern we learned. Also, everyone had different articles. She called on us like third, and even though she explained it and there were examples before us, he had no clue what was going on. Poor Milby-san. She moved on and had Jordan-san do it with me instead. Language classes are FRUSTRATING

    ReplyDelete