Sunday, February 3, 2013

Tales of Xillia 2 - Rowen Episode 1 English Translation


Rowen Episode 1 – Rowen and Marcia

Rowen: Ludger-san, do you know why Maxbard was built?

-L1: I know that it's a new city that was built a year ago.
-R1: It was built to connect the two countries, right?

R1 Route:
Rowen: Yes. However, simply physically connecting the two countries was not the only goal.
Rowen: It was built as a bridge to connect everything about the two countries. Their culture, ideas, beliefs, and everything else.
Rowen: With this city, relations between the two countries truly began.
Elise: What are you discussing?
Rowen: We're just studying a little history.
Elise: If that's so, I'd love to be involved in the discussion too. Is that alright?
Rowen: Yes, of course. Elise-san sure is passionate about her studies, isn't she?

-L1: Do you teach her?
-R1: Studying… that really brings back memories of my school days. (Rowen +)

R1 Route:
Rowen: Hohoho, though that wasn't all that long ago for you, Ludger-san, was it?
Elise: So that I don't fall behind in my studies, Rowen helps me study.
Elise: So, please. Rowen-sensei.
Tipo: Make the subject of the test Elenpios's recent history.
Rowen: Well then… the first question is, who said this famous quote?
Rowen: "Let the happiness of others become your own happiness." These words have made a deep impression on me.*
 Vel: This is the Alternate Timeline Counter-Measure Division. A new alternate timeline has been discovered.
Vel: The entry point is Maxbard. Please confirm that you've received the coordinates.
Rowen: That was about your work, yes?
Elise: Will you be ok alone?
Rowen: If we need to deal with an alternate timeline, then we have no time to sit here discussing the establishment of relations between the two countries.
Elise: This is no time to be studying either.
Rowen: Ludger-san, we would like to accompany you.
Tipo: Let's show Ludger how helpful we can be!
Elle: …
Tipo: Ow! What are you doing!?
Elle: No it doesn't. You're just talking through ventriloquism after all.
Elise: …
Tipo: We are not using ventriloquism!

==========================

Man: Marcia-sama is sure to win the election.
Woman: I'm rooting for you!
Marcia: Thank you.
Elise: That's Elenpios's…!
Rowen: Elenpios's prime minister, Marcia.
Tipo: Being able to meet a prime minister is a super rare event~**
Rowen: So this world has the same politics.***
Man: If it pleases you, take my fresh vegetables in commemoration of your visit to our city.****
Marcia: I appreciate the thought, but…
Man: Please don't say that!
Man: You see if you eat lots of delicious food, it helps you call wisdom to mind.*****
Man: Let's really show up those guys from Liese Maxia!
Woman: Yeah! We have to prove our superiority  to Liese Maxia!
Marcia: …

-L1: I kind of understand how they feel.
-R1: That kind of opinion is just wrong. (Rowen +)

R1 Route:
Elise: I think fighting is bad too. Why can't they just cooperate with each other…
Rowen: The more people involved in something, the more difficult a simple problem becomes.
Rowen: Now, what will she do…
Marcia: If that's the case, then I'll take these home for my family to eat.
Man: Eh, but…
Marcia: I want to make choices that will benefit people everywhere. I accept your kind gift with thanks.
Rowen: "Happiness that is born from the calamity of others, is a fragile happiness.  Make choices will benefit people everywhere."
Marcia: !
Rowen: " Let the happiness of others become your own happiness. Deliver your own happiness to others."
Rowen: "From there to here. From here to there. Happiness that is all around, that is true happiness."
Marcia: You…?
Elise: Those words, they were said by Bradberry!
Elise: A famous philosopher of Elenpios, who advocated and taught practical morality… right?
Rowen: Correct. You did well, Elise-san.
Marcia: His ideas… don't you think they are naïve?
Rowen: They are extremely naïve. Very idealistic… therefore it is a strict path to follow.
Rowen: Incidentally, my favorite book is Bradberry's The Intelligence of Happiness.
Marcia: That's the book in which he wrote those words, yes?
Marica: Ah, Sou-chan, are you finished with your walk?
Elle: Such a cute cat!
Marica: He's my friend. Well, I should be going.
Rowen: It was an honor to speak with you.
Ludger: …!!
Elise: Ludger, just now, that was…!
Rowen: …It seems that Prime Minister Marcia's cat is the time factor.
Tipo: Ludger, we have to follow them!
Rowen: They're probably going to board a train. Let's head for the station.

*He really says "here and there" rather than "others and you", but I thought the latter phrasing sounded better.
**I think this is supposed to be funny. Since Rowen is a prime minister too lol. Although in Liese Maxia's case, there is a king (who actually has political power).
***Umm, I kind of changed this line a bit. He literally says, "so there are politicians in this world too." Which kind of makes no sense in context. Unless there was some point in time when Elenpios had a king? Since they mentioned the election, I assume this alternate world is in a time before the election of this lady Marcia as prime minister. I think that's what he was talking about.
****Yes I know they look like fruit. But he really did say vegetables. Miscommunication between the script writers and graphics people?
*****Meaning "it helps you think." I know it sounds really condescending in English, but it's not supposed to. I don't know how to phrase this in a way that doesn't sound condescending.

==========================

Marcia: …and then, he said his thoughts on Bradberry's quote. I was so surprised.
???: Hmm. He seems to be quite intelligent.
Marcia: Hehe, I know, right?
Marcia: He was very wise… but, he seemed to be a very lonely person.
Rowen: …
???: That's a first. You saying such a thing about a human.
???: Hey, then after all I'm not…
Marcia: Please stop saying such things.
Marcia: Humans get so involved with their own interests that they can't be trusted. For me, as long as you're by my side I'll be ok.
???: But…
Marcia: Let's go already.
Marcia: For my next speech, I think I'll use that idea you suggested after all. Thank you for talking with me.
???: …Right, good luck.

==========================

Elise: He's here! Prime Minister Marcia's cat!
Rowen: …So this cat is the time factor then?

-L1: …Alright, let's finish him.
-R1: As I thought, I can't just kill a defenseless cat… (Rowen +)

R1 Route:
Rowen: Indeed, even though I prefer dogs, I falter at the thought of killing him…
Ludger: …
Cat: Oi, why did you all come here?
Elle: Eh!
Elle: You're kidding!?
Cat: You were eavesdropping earlier, weren't you?
Rowen: What in the world…?
Elise: Please wait!
Tipo: Why is the cat talking?
Cat: I don't want to hear that from you… I know that you understand, don't you?*
Ludger: !!
Rowen: Ludger-san!
Cat: I see… You all came to kill me, didn't you?
Cat: Sorry, but I can't allow you to do that!

(boss battle)

Cat: I see… Old man, it was you. You were the human Marcia talked about…
Rowen: …
Cat: In my place… become… Marcia's…. strength… please.
Cat: I'm counting… on you…

Tipo: When the cat said Elise would understand, what did he mean?
Rowen: Probably, that the brain can evolve in strange ways.
Rowen: From booster experiments on animals, it seems that sort of effect can occur.
Tipo: Seriously!?
Elise: Boosters can do that…
Elle: Maybe Lulu could learn to talk too?
Lulu: Meow~?
Rowen: More than that, what concerned me was…

-L1: What he said just before he died, right?
-R1: Prime Minister Marcia?

L1 Route:
Elise: That cat ask Rowen for a favor. He asked you to help Prime Minister Marcia.
Rowen: Yet in the end, that was a conversation from an alternate timeline.
Rowen: However…  this world's Prime Minister Marcia may be in a similar situation.
Tipo: The true timeline and the alternate timeline are very similar after all.
Rowen: If this world's Prime Minster Marcia's thoughts are the same as they were in the alternate timeline, then…
Rowen: Her ideals are likely the same as ours.
Elise: That would be good if it's true!
Tipo: I'm sure she thinks the same as us!
Rowen: I have a hunch we'll soon have a chance to meet with Prime Minister Marcia in person.

-L1:  If we just get a chance to meet her, I'm sure our discussions would go well.
-R1: Rowen, you sure are determined. (Rowen +)

R1 Route:
Rowen: No, no, not at all. This is just natural.
Rowen: …Millions of people's futures hang in the balance, so I have to be determined.
Rowen: Until this city, Maxbard, truly becomes a bridge between the two countries…
Rowen: …I will continue to actively work hard!

*Cause Tipo's a talking stuffed animal! Lol. Also when he says "you understand" he means Elise.

No comments:

Post a Comment