Saturday, August 29, 2009

AC is not overrated

Today was pretty boring. The nice denkiya-san (the electrician; for those who don't know Japanese that's not his name, denki=electricity, ya=store, and -san is the honorific. So it basically means the person who works at the electronic store. Lesson of the day ^_^) who speaks English came to install my air conditioning today. Finally salvation. I don't have to sweat everywhere I go anymore.

I realized that I have no idea what to do for fun here yet. And there's no one but Tori around me that I know. I don't think ambushing some random person walking and asking them to be your friend is any less creepy here in Japan. It doesn't help that the Japanese students avoid me. The girl who lives across the hall from me was going into her room at the same time as me today and she just did a polite bow and scrambled into her room without saying anything. I can't wait to start classes so I can meet people. Of course I got put in the dorm in the boonies, so I'll have to bike 10min to see anyone. Today I just talked to people in America for a few hours after denkiya-san left, then Tori and me watched DVDs on the computer. Mostly cause we didn't want to leave our nice cold rooms and jetlag is still tormenting me. I ate just rice and miso soup for dinner, then went to the bathhouse again. I guess I'm used to it now.

$2/shower x 300 days = $600 to shower o_O

The course registration system here makes no sense. And requires even more paperwork. Basically I got a book of all the different classes they offer in English or basic Japanese. On Tuesday I pick whatever classes I want to go to and just go to them. Then, if I like the course, I have to get the teacher to sign it and submit this paper somewhere. I believe I also have to acquire permission from each specific college to enter a class. The Japanese language courses however, start about 2 weeks after the regular classes because we have to take a placement test. Then they'll place us into a language class which may or may not interfere with the classes we have chosen... I guess we're supposed to drop and add classes at that point, but we'll have missed 2 weeks of the classes we add. I don't understand it and I was never meant to.

Tomorrow I must do paperwork. And figure out what classes to take. Still no pictures, sorry. I'm still too lazy to use the camera apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment